Celebrity Native Americans claim ties to various tribes indigenous to the United States. These notable faces in art, film, and music often draw from their background for their work, ensuring indigenous people are accurately represented in pop culture.
Native American heritage, however, can be complicated territory. Some celebrities fail to verify their ancestry, leading to accusations that such stars are exploiting questionable Native ties to deflect criticism. Actors like Johnny Depp and Taylor Lautner's claims of indigenous ancestry, for example, were questioned after the actors took on roles playing Native Americans.
Luckily, many famous Native Americans can prove their ties definitively, and do a good job of representing the traditionally marginalized group in media. Singers like Beyoncé, Tori Amos, and Jimi Hendrix have Native ancestors, and singer and actress Rosario Dawson is of a mixed race background that includes some Native heritage.
Browse this list to learn about more celebs who are Native American!
On October 15, 2018, Democratic Senator Elizabeth Warren released DNA testing that shows she has distant Native American ancestry, with a Native American ancestor between six and 10 generations prior.
- Age: 72
- Birthplace: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States of America
- Photo: Stuart C. Wilson/Stringer / Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images Europe
Cameron Diaz has stated she has Native American ancestry on her mother's side.
- Age: 48
- Birthplace: San Diego, California, United States of America
- Photo: John Springer Collection/Contributor / Corbis Historical/Getty Images
Elvis Presley's great-great-great-grandmother was reportedly a full-blooded Cherokee Indian.
- Age: Dec. at 41 (1935-1977)
- Birthplace: Tupelo, Mississippi, United States of America
- Photo: Jennifer's Body / 20th Century Fox
Megan Fox has a small amount of Powhatan Native American blood in her ancestry.
- Age: 34
- Birthplace: Oak Ridge, Tennessee, USA
- Alternative Name: Megan Denise Fox