List of Famous New York Friars Club Members ranked by fame and popularity. The Friars Club is a private club in New York City whose members include popular comedians, actors and New York socialites. Candidates for membership must be sponsored by two current members. Who are the New York Friars Club's most famous members? Check out this list and find out who lands in the top spot.
The New York Friars Club consists of some of the world's funniest comedians. Jerry Seinfeld, Robin Williams, Whoopi Goldberg, and Billy Crystal are all members of this elite organization, as well as the club's first official female member, Liza Minnelli. Jerry Lewis is the current Abbot of the Friars Club and he was the subject of the group's infamous Roast back in 1986. Johnny Carson served as Roastmaster for the event.
Famous New Yorkers Donald Trump, Barbara Walters and Matt Lauer are also Friars Club members. While being inspired by the Friars Club Roasts, the Comedy Central Roasts are no longer associated with the group. The Friars Club still holds annual roasts, and funnyman Jack Black took the hot seat in 2013.What do you think of our list of famous New York Friars Club Members? Let us know who you think is the most interesting affiliate in the comments section.
- Photo: Hulton Deutsch/Contributor / Corbis Historical/Getty ImagesFrancis Albert Sinatra (; December 12, 1915 – May 14, 1998) was an American singer, actor and producer who was one of the most popular and influential musical artists of the 20th century. He is one of the best-selling music artists of all time, having sold more than 150 million records worldwide.Born to Italian immigrants in Hoboken, New Jersey, Sinatra began his musical career in the swing era with bandleaders Harry James and Tommy Dorsey. Sinatra found success as a solo artist after he signed with Columbia Records in 1943, becoming the idol of the "bobby soxers". He released his debut album, The Voice of Frank Sinatra, in 1946. But by the early 1950s his professional career had stalled ...more
- Age: Dec. at 82 (1915-1998)
- Birthplace: Hoboken, New Jersey, United States of America
- Jerome Allen Seinfeld ( SYNE-feld; born April 29, 1954) is an American stand-up comedian, actor, writer, producer, and director. He is known for playing a semi-fictionalized version of himself in the sitcom Seinfeld, which he created and wrote with Larry David. The show aired on NBC from 1989 until 1998, becoming one of the most acclaimed and popular sitcoms of all time. As a stand-up comedian, Seinfeld specializes in observational comedy. In 2005, Comedy Central named Seinfeld the "12th Greatest Stand-up Comedian of All Time."Seinfeld produced, co-wrote and starred in the 2007 film Bee Movie. In 2010, he premiered a reality series called The Marriage Ref, which aired for two seasons on ...more
- Age: 67
- Birthplace: Brooklyn, New York, USA
- Photo: uploaded by MisterBoRobin McLaurin Williams (July 21, 1951 – August 11, 2014) was an American actor and comedian. Born in Chicago, Williams began performing stand-up comedy in San Francisco and Los Angeles during the mid-1970s, After rising to fame playing the alien Mork in the sitcom Mork & Mindy, Williams established a career in both stand-up comedy and feature film acting. He was known for his improvisation skills and the wide variety of memorable character voices he created. Many critics have lauded Williams as one of the funniest comedians of all time.After his first starring film role in Popeye (1980), Williams starred in numerous films that achieved critical and commercial success, including The World ...more
- Age: Dec. at 63 (1951-2014)
- Birthplace: Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
- John William Carson (October 23, 1925 – January 23, 2005) was an American television host, comedian, writer, and producer. He is best known as the host of The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson (1962–1992). Carson received six Emmy Awards, the Television Academy's 1980 Governor's Award, and a 1985 Peabody Award. He was inducted into the Television Academy Hall of Fame in 1987. Carson was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1992 and received a Kennedy Center Honor in 1993.During World War II, Carson served in the Navy. After the war, Carson started a career in radio. Although his show was already successful by the end of the 1960s, during the 1970s, Carson became an American icon ...more
- Age: Dec. at 79 (1925-2005)
- Birthplace: Corning, Quincy Township, Iowa, United States of America