List of popular opera singers from United States, listed alphabetically with photos of the singers when available. This list includes some of the best American opera singers, along with bits of information such as what year they were born in and where they were born. If you're searching for a particular famous opera singer from United States, then use the "search" function to find who you're looking for.
List contains items like Gladys Swarthout and Valerian Ruminski.
This list answers the questions, "What famous opera singers are from United States?" and "Who are the greatest American opera singers?"You can click on the names of these historic opera singers of United States in order to get more information about each one. If you're an opera lover or just love music in general, then use this list of renowned American opera singers to find some operas or musicals that you might really enjoy.
- Abriea "Abbie" Mitchell Cook (25 September 1884 – 16 March 1960), also billed as Abbey Mitchell, was an American soprano opera singer. She was known for singing the role of "Clara" in the premier ...more
- Adelaide Phillipps (26 October 1833 in Stratford-on-Avon, England – 3 October 1882 in Carlsbad, Germany) was an opera singer. She came to the United States with her family at the age of seven. Her ...more
- Adele Addison (born July 24, 1925 in Springfield, Massachusetts) is an African-American lyric soprano who was a figure in the classical music world during the 1950s and 1960s. Although she did appear ...more
- Alexander Kipnis (February 13 [O.S. February 1] 1891 – May 14, 1978) was a Ukrainian-born operatic bass. Having initially established his artistic reputation in Europe, Kipnis became an American ...more
- Anne Brown (August 9, 1912 – March 13, 2009) was an American soprano who created the role of "Bess" in the original production of George Gershwin's opera Porgy and Bess in 1935. She was also a radio ...more
- Annie Louise Cary (October 22, 1842 – April 3, 1921) was an American singer.
- Ara Berberian (Armenian: Արա Բերբերյան, May 14, 1930 in Detroit, Michigan – February 21, 2005 in Boynton Beach, Florida, ) was an American bass and actor who had an active international career in ...more
- Barbara Bonney (born April 14, 1956) is an American soprano.
- Belle Cole (1845 or 1853–1905) was a well-known American contralto. She first achieved success while on a transcontinental tour of the United States with Theodore Thomas in 1883. She later sang in ...more
- Blanche Roosevelt (2 October 1853 – 10 September 1898), born Blanche Roosevelt Tucker, was an American opera singer, author and journalist. She is best remembered for creating the role of Mabel in ...more
- Blanche Thebom (September 19, 1915 – March 23, 2010) was an American operatic mezzo-soprano, voice teacher, and opera director. She was part of the first wave of American opera singers that had ...more
- Camilla Ella Williams (October 18, 1919 – January 29, 2012) was an American operatic soprano who performed nationally and internationally. After studying with renowned teachers in New York City, she ...more
- Carol Plantamura (born February 8, 1941 in Los Angeles, California) is an American soprano specializing in 17th and 20th century music. She graduated from Occidental College and was an original ...more
- Carol Theresa Vaness (born July 27, 1952) is an American lirico-spinto soprano. Vaness was born in San Diego and launched her professional career in 1977 with the San Francisco Opera. She appeared ...more
- Caterina Jarboro (July 24, 1898 – August 13, 1986) was an African-American opera singer. She was the first female black opera singer to perform a leading role with an otherwise all-white company in ...more
- Charles Bressler (April 1, 1926 – November 28, 1996) was an American tenor. He was born in Kingston, Pennsylvania, and studied at the Juilliard School with Lucia Dunham. He became a founding member ...more
- Charles Castronovo (born June 19, 1975) is an American operatic tenor. Castronovo was born to a Sicilian father and an Ecuadorian mother in Queens, New York, but grew up in Southern California. He ...more
- Charles R. Adams (February 9, 1834 – July 4, 1900) was an American opera singer and singing instructor. An excellent tenor and fine actor, he had a commanding stage presence and was particularly ...more
- Claramae Turner (née Haas, October 28, 1920 – May 18, 2013) was an American operatic contralto, perhaps best known for her appearance in the film Carousel (1956), adapted from the Rodgers and ...more
- Deborah Voigt (born August 4, 1960) is an American dramatic soprano who has sung roles in operas by Wagner and Richard Strauss.
- Dwayne Croft is an American baritone who has sung in more than 500 performances in 38 roles at the Metropolitan Opera. He won the Richard Tucker Award in 1996.He created the role of Nick Carraway in ...more
- Edith Mason (March 22, 1892 – November 26, 1973) was an American soprano.
- Edward Matthews may refer to: Edward Matthews (singer) (1904–1954), opera singer Edward Matthews (soldier) (1896–1997), Australian soldier Edward Matthews (author) (1813–1892), Welsh Calvinistic ...more
- Emma Abbott (December 9, 1850 – January 5, 1891) was an American operatic soprano and impresario known for her pure, clear voice of great flexibility and volume.
- Erin Wall (born 4 November 1975 Calgary, Alberta to American parents) is a Canadian operatic soprano. She studied at the Vancouver Academy of Music, Western Washington University, Rice University ...more