This list of famous people of Indian descent is loosely ranked by fame and popularity. Many famous celebrities are of Indian descent. Some of them have a mixed heritage, such as the stars on this list who are half Indian half White, while others are 100 percent Indian. Celebrities of Indian descent have had successful careers in film, television, and literature. Several comedic actors and actresses are also of Indian descent.
Who is the most famous person of Indian descent? Mahatma Gandhi tops this list. The peaceful civil rights leader was born and raised in India. He helped lead India to freedom from British rule. Ben Kingsley, who played Mahatma Gandhi in the film Gandhi, has Indian heritage as well.
Many comedians and TV stars like Aziz Ansari, Mindy Kaling, Kal Penn, Danny Pudi, and Maulik Pancholy are also of Indian descent.
How do you celebrate the multi-cultural aspects of your heritage? Share your thoughts about any American celebrity with Indian heritage in the comments section.
- Photo: flickr / CC0Peaceful civil rights leader Mahatma Gandhi was born and raised in India. He helped lead India to freedom from British rule.
- Born: 1869-10-02
- Age: Dec. at 79 (1869-1948)
- Birthplace: Porbandar, India
- Photo: Metaweb / CC-BYNicki Minaj is of Indian and Afro-Trinidadian descent. She has released hit songs such as "Super Bass" and "Starships."
- Born: 1982-12-08
- Age: 37
- Birthplace: Saint James, Trinidad and Tobago
- Photo: flickr / CC0Freida Pinto was born and raised in India. She is best known for her role in the Academy Award winning film Slumdog Millionaire.
- Born: 1984-10-18
- Age: 35
- Birthplace: Mumbai, India
- Photo: Metaweb / CC-BYComedian Aziz Ansari is of Indian descent and was raised in South Carolina. He has appeared on TV shows such as "Parks and Recreation" and "Flight of the Concords."
- Born: 1983-02-23
- Age: 37
- Birthplace: Columbia, South Carolina, USA