Not only do these celebrities raised in interfaith families get to celebrate the 7 days of Kwanzaa, 8 nights of Hanukkah, AND the 12 days of Christmas, they also get to learn about multiple religious and cultural practices. Many celebrities were brought up by parents who were of different religions. Some famous folks adopted one religion, while others found that a combination of faiths worked for them. One famous comedian who was raised in an interfaith family even became an atheist as an adult.
Who is the most famous person raised in an interfaith family? Sarah Jessica Parker tops our list. The “Sex in the City” star has a Jewish father and her mother has no specific religion. Parker identifies herself as Jewish, although she has had no religious training. Her husband, Matthew Broderick, was also brought up in an interfaith family. The Ferris Bueller star was raised by a Jewish mother and a Catholic father.
Comedian Bill Maher was raised by a Jewish mother and a Catholic father. He has become an outspoken Atheist, and regularly raises questions about religion on his HBO show “Real Time.” Other celebrities whose parents had different religions include Gwyneth Paltrow, Harrison Ford and Sean Penn.Do you think that it is beneficial to grow-up learning about two or more different religions? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
- Photo: Tinseltown / ShutterstockSarah Jessica Parker has a Jewish father and her mother has no specific religion. Parker identifies herself as Jewish, although she has had no religious training.
- Age: 55
- Birthplace: Nelsonville, USA, Ohio
- Photo: Metaweb / CC-BYGwyneth Paltrow's father was Jewish and her mother was brought up as a Quaker. She used to say that she did not believe in any religion, but more recently Paltrow has stated that she will be raising her children as Jewish.
- Age: 48
- Birthplace: Los Angeles, California, United States of America
- Photo: flickr / CC0Amanda Bynes was raised by a Catholic father and a Jewish mother. She does not practice any given religions and she has stated the reason as, "I haven't decided yet."
- Age: 34
- Birthplace: Thousand Oaks, California, United States of America
- Photo: Tinseltown / ShutterstockBill Maher was raised by a Jewish mother and a Catholic father. Maher is an outspoken Atheist.
- Age: 64
- Birthplace: New York City, New York, United States of America