12 Famous People Surrounded By Tragedy
Several famous people have experienced a lot of tragedies. Some celebrities have had several family members die in terrible ways, while others have experienced a series of personal illnesses and injuries. One famous singer lost three of her family members in a horrific shooting. This list of famous people who have been surrounded by tragedy is loosely ranked by fame and popularity.
Who is the most famous person who is surrounded by tragedy? Sofia Vergara tops our list. "Modern Family" actress Sofia Vergara's brother Rafael was murdered in Bogota in 1998. In 2000, Vergara was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and in 2011, her younger brother Julio was deported to Colombia after being arrested.
In 2008, Jennifer Hudson's mother Darnell Donnerson, her brother Jason and her nephew Julian were all killed by her estranged brother-in-law William Balfour. John F. Kennedy, Jr.'s father John F. Kennedy and uncle Robert Kennedy were both assassinated.How would you attempt to recover from a personal tragedy? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
- Photo: Tenebrae / Wikimedia Commons / CC-BY-SA 3.0
In 1968, when Kelsey Grammer was just 13, his father, Frank, was shot and killed outside of his home. In 1975, Grammer's 18 year-old sister, Karen, was abducted, sexually assaulted, and murdered by killer Freddie Glenn. Five years later, in 1980, Grammer's twin half-brothers, Billy and Stephen, died in a scuba-diving accident off the coast of St. Thomas.
In 2001, his good friend, David Angell, was aboard American Airlines Flight 11 that crashed into the World Trade Center in the 9/11 attacks.
- Age: 68
- Birthplace: Saint Thomas, United States Virgin Islands
- Photo: Helga Esteb / Shutterstock
In 2008, Jennifer Hudson's mother, Darnell Donnerson (57) and her brother, Jason (29) were shot to death by her estranged brother-in-law, William Balfour. Hudson's nephew, Julian (7), was reported missing, but found three days later dead of multiple gunshot wounds.
In 2012, Balfour was convicted of three life sentences with no parole.
- Age: 41
- Birthplace: Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Photo: Sofi / FlickrIn May 1990, Marlon Brando's son, Christian, shot and killed Dag Drollet, the boyfriend of his pregnant half-sister, Cheyenne. Christian pleaded guilty to manslaughter and spent five years in prison. Cheyenne Brando attempted suicide twice during his trial. Then, in 1995, after she lost custody of her son, Tuki, Cheyenne hanged herself at age 25.
- Age: Dec. at 80 (1924-2004)
- Birthplace: Omaha, Nebraska, United States of America
- Photo: iDominick / Wikimedia Commons / CC BY-SA 2.0
"Modern Family" actress Sofia Vergara has had her share of hardships. In 1998, her brother, Rafael, was murdered in Bogota. In 2000, Vergara was diagnosed with thyroid cancer, and she underwent iodine radiation therapy before making a full recovery.
In 2011, her younger brother, Julio, was deported to Colombia after longterm drug addiction and an arrest in the U.S.
- Age: 50
- Birthplace: Barranquilla, Colombia
- Photo: Jac de Nijs / Wikimedia Commons / CC BY 4.0In 1966, Roy Orbison's wife, Claudette Frady, was killed when the couple were riding motorcycles. She was hit by a semi truck and killed instantly. Just two years later, Orbison's house burned down, killing two of his three sons. In 1973, his older brother, Grady, was killed in an auto accident while traveling to spend thanksgiving with Orbison.
- Age: Dec. at 52 (1936-1988)
- Birthplace: Vernon, Texas, United States of America
- Photo: Freedom To Marry / FlickrIn 1999, Marie Osmond revealed that she suffered from severe postpartum depression after the birth of her son Matthew. In 2007, she was devastated by the death of her father George Osmond, who had 9 children and 55 grandchildren. In 2010, Osmond's son, Michael, committed suicide at age 18, jumping from an eighth floor window.
- Age: 63
- Birthplace: Ogden, Utah, USA