Car accidents are one of the leading causes of death throughout the world, and even famous people, with their expensive cars and personal drivers, can fall victim to a terrible car crash. You might also be interested in celebs who died in motorcycle crashes and famous people who died in helicopter accidents. This is a list of famous people who died in car accidents. Celebrities who died in car crashes are listed loosely by relevance and include the famous car accident victims’ birth dates and additional information about them when available. Photos of these famous people who died in car wrecks are included when available. Everyone on this list has car accident as a cause of death somewhere in their public records, even if it was just partially responsible for their death. Celebrities include Jayne Mansfield, Sam Kinison, Ryan Dunn of Jackass, Ernie Kovacs, and Claudia Jennings.
This list contains people like Princess Diana, Barack Obama Sr. and Paul Walker, who are all dead because of a car accident. If you're searching for a particular celebrity, actor, or actress who was killed in a car accident you can use the "filter" bar to find who you're looking for. There may be a few people on this list that were struck by a car while on bike or foot rather than getting into a car crash.
- Photo: Sterling Publications / Wikimedia Commons / Public Domain
Grace Kelly died on September, 14, 1982 when she was 52 years old. She suffered a stoke which caused her to lose control of her vehicle and drive it off a mountainside.Grace Patricia Kelly (November 12, 1929 – September 14, 1982) was an American film actress who became Princess of Monaco after marrying Prince Rainier III in April 1956. After embarking on an acting career in 1950, when she was 20, Kelly appeared in New York City theatrical productions and more than 40 episodes of live drama productions broadcast during the early 1950s Golden Age of Television. In October 1953, she gained stardom from her performance in director John Ford's film Mogambo starring Clark Gable and Ava Gardner, which won her a Golden Globe Award and an Academy Award nomination in 1954. Subsequently, she had leading roles in five films, including The Country Girl (1954) with... more
- Age: Dec. at 53 (1929-1982)
- Birthplace: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
- Gender: Female
- Photo: s_bukley / ShutterstockPaul Walker died on November 30, 2013 when he was 40 years old. He was driving with his friend, a professional race car driver, when his 2005 Porsche Carrera GT crashed into a light pole. Walker was the passenger and it is believed that his friend simply lost control of the vehicle.
- Age: Dec. at 40 (1973-2013)
- Birthplace: Glendale, California, United States of America
- Gender: Male
- Diana, Princess of Wales died on August 31, 1997 when she was 36 years old. She was killed in a car accident when her driver, who was accused of being drunk, lost control of the car due to the aggressive pursuit of the paparazzi.
- Age: Dec. at 36 (1961-1997)
- Birthplace: Sandringham, England
- Gender: Female
James Dean died September 30, 1955, when he crashed into another car on U.S. Route 466. Somewhat ironically, at the time, he was driving his Porsche 550 Spyder en route to compete in an auto racing event, and had received a speeding ticket less than two hours before the accident. Reports say his death appeared to have been "instantaneous."
- Age: Dec. at 24 (1931-1955)
- Birthplace: Marion, Indiana, United States of America
- Gender: Male