Editor's Note: Voting and Reranking have been closed.
List of famous people who died in explosions, including photos, birthdates, professions, and other information. These celebrities who died in explosions are listed alphabetically and include the famous explosion victims’ hometown and biographical info about them when available. This list is made up of people like David Ronald Pearce and Diana Oughton. These notable explosion deaths include modern and long-gone famous men and women, from politicians to religious leaders to writers. Everyone on this list has died in explosion as a cause of death somewhere in their public records, even if it was just one contributing factor for their death. (9 People)
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainKing of Scots, James II was a big promoter of modern artillery during his reign while he he tried to seize a castle for Scotland. He was loading up a cannon, referred to as "The Lion," but when he tried firing it, it exploded instead, killing him instantly.
- Age: Dec. at 29 (1430-1460)
- Birthplace: Holyrood Palace, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- Photo: flickr / CC0Antonio Veneziano is considered to be one of the greatest Sicilian poets of all time. His most popular piece, Celia, was written while in jail when he was captured by Barbary pirates. He died during an explosion in his prison in 1593.
- Age: Dec. at 50 (1543-1593)
- Birthplace: Monreale, Italy
- Sri Lankan General and politician, Janaka Perera is considered to be one of the most distinguished generals in Sri Lankan history. Both Perera and his wife died during a suicide bombing in 2008 at a United National Party office. 27 civilians and politicians were killed, and another 90 were injured. The government blames the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam for the attack.
- Age: Dec. at 62 (1946-2008)
- Birthplace: Sri Lanka
- Photo: flickr / CC0Diana Oughton was a member of the Students for a Democratic Party, the radical group Weatherman, and the Jesse James Gang, which were all movements against the Vietnam War in the 1960's. Oughton was constructing a nail bomb that was planned to go off during a dance for noncommissioned offers at Fort Dix, New Jersey, when it detonated, killing her and two others.
- Age: Dec. at 28 (1942-1970)
- Birthplace: Chicago, Illinois