Drug addiction has tragic consequences, even for the beloved and famous drug users in the world. We also have lists of athletes who were addicted to drugs and celebrities who don't drink or smoke. This is a list of famous people who died of heroin overdose, including pictures, birth dates, professions, and other information. After the shocking death of Philip Seymour Hoffman, people everywhere were confronted with the sad reality of celebrity heroin overdoses and the dangers of being heroin addicts.
Perhaps worse than other serious drugs like cocaine, heroine addiction can ravage a person's body. These celebrities who overdosed on heroin are listed by fame and notoriety and include the famous heroin overdose victims’ hometown and biographical info about them when available. Included on the list are famous actors, musicians, and other celebrities like Chris Farley, Philip Seymour Hoffman and more. Other rock stars, movie stars, and singers that died from heroin overdose include Cory Monteith, John Belushi, Sublime lead singer Bradley Norwell, and Janis Joplin.
These notable heroin overdose deaths include modern and long-gone famous men and women, from politicians to religious leaders to writers. Everyone on this list has overdosed on heroin as a cause of death somewhere in their public records, even if it was just one contributing factor for their death. Everyday, people are dying to substance addiction and overdose.
- Photo: Tim Mosenfelder / Getty ImagesLayne Staley was an American musician who was the singer for the band Alice in Chains. Staley struggled with addiction for much of his life. On April 5, 2002, Staley died after overdosing on a combination of illegal drugs. He was 34 years old.
- Age: Dec. at 34 (1967-2002)
- Birthplace: Kirkland, Washington, United States of America
- Profession: Musician, Singer-songwriter, Lyricist
- Credits: The Perfect Storm, Last Action Hero, The Faculty, Funny People
- Photo: Everett Collection / ShutterstockBrad Renfro was an American actor who appeared in the film "Apt Pupil." He struggled with drug addiction throughout much of his life. On January 15, 2008, he died due to acute heroin/morphine intoxication. He was 25 years old.
- Age: Dec. at 25 (1982-2008)
- Birthplace: Knoxville, Tennessee, United States of America
- Profession: Actor
- Credits: Sleepers, Ghost World, Recess, The Jacket, The Client
- Jean-Michel Basquiat was an American artist who was a member of SAMO. On August 12, 1988, He died of a heroin overdose on the age of 27. Fellow artist Keith Haring created "Pile of Crowns for Jean-Michel Basquiat" in his honor.
- Age: Dec. at 27 (1960-1988)
- Birthplace: New York City, New York, United States of America
- Profession: Street artist, Painter, Poet, Musician, Music Producer
- Credits: Downtown 81
- Bradley Nowell was an American musician who was the frontman in the band Sublime. Nowell struggled with heroin addiction for much of his life. On May 25, 1996, he died of a heroin overdose at the age of 28. Sublime were about to embark on world tour the morning of his death.
- Age: Dec. at 28 (1968-1996)
- Birthplace: Belmont Shore, Long Beach, California
- Profession: Record producer, Guitarist, Songwriter, Musician, Singer