Drug addiction has tragic consequences, even for the beloved and famous drug users in the world. We also have lists of athletes who were addicted to drugs and celebrities who don't drink or smoke. This is a list of famous people who died of heroin overdose, including pictures, birth dates, professions, and other information. After the shocking death of Philip Seymour Hoffman, people everywhere were confronted with the sad reality of celebrity heroin overdoses and the dangers of being heroin addicts.
Perhaps worse than other serious drugs like cocaine, heroine addiction can ravage a person's body. These celebrities who overdosed on heroin are listed by fame and notoriety and include the famous heroin overdose victims’ hometown and biographical info about them when available. Included on the list are famous actors, musicians, and other celebrities like Chris Farley, Philip Seymour Hoffman and more. Other rock stars, movie stars, and singers that died from heroin overdose include Cory Monteith, John Belushi, Sublime lead singer Bradley Norwell, and Janis Joplin.
These notable heroin overdose deaths include modern and long-gone famous men and women, from politicians to religious leaders to writers. Everyone on this list has overdosed on heroin as a cause of death somewhere in their public records, even if it was just one contributing factor for their death. Everyday, people are dying to substance addiction and overdose.
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Fair usePhilip Seymour Hoffman was an American actor who was in the film "Capote." He died of an overdose of heroin and other drugs on February 2, 2014 at the age of 46. Hoffman had been sober for 23 years prior to 2012 when he relapsed.
- Age: Dec. at 47 (1967-2014)
- Birthplace: Fairport, New York, United States of America
- Profession: Theatre Director, Film Producer, Actor, Voice acting
- Credits: Capote, Doubt, Charlie Wilson's War, The Master
- River Phoenix was an American actor who appeared in the film "Stand By Me." He died of a heroin overdose on October 31, 1993 at the age of 23. He died on the street in front of Johnny Depp's club The Viper Room where he was scheduled to perform. His brother Joaquin, sister Rain and friend Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers) were present when he died.
- Age: Dec. at 23 (1970-1993)
- Birthplace: Madras, Oregon, United States of America
- Profession: Activist, Guitarist, Environmentalist, Musician, Singer-songwriter
- Credits: Stand by Me, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, My Own Private Idaho, The Mosquito Coast
- Photo: Animal HouseJohn Belushi was an American comedic actor who appeared in the film "Animal House." After a night of partying in Hollywood, he overdosed after injecting a combination of heroin and cocaine into his bloodstream. On March 5, 1982, he was found dead at the Chateau Marmont where he was staying. Belushi was 33 years old.
- Age: Dec. at 33 (1949-1982)
- Birthplace: USA, Chicago, Humboldt Park, Illinois
- Profession: Comedian, Musician, Screenwriter, Actor
- Credits: The Blues Brothers,Saturday Night Live,Animal House,1941
- Photo: Grossman Glotzer Management Corporation / Wikimedia Commons / Public DomainJanis Joplin was an American musician who had a number one hit with the song "Me and Bobby McGee." Joplin struggled with drug and alcohol addiction for much of her life. On October 4, 1970, she died of a heroin overdose. She was 27 years old.
- Age: Dec. at 27 (1943-1970)
- Birthplace: Texas, USA, Port Arthur
- Profession: Songwriter, Singer
- Credits: Three Kings, The Dreamers, Watchmen, Little White Lies