53 Celebrities Who Have Been Homeless
List of famous people who were homeless, loosely ranked by fame and popularity. A surprising number of famous actors, singers, musicians, and businessmen have experienced homelessness at some point in their lives. Most use their struggles as inspiration to realize their greatest goals. Are you in need of some inspiring success stories? Check out this list of celebrities were homeless.
Who is the most famous person who was homeless? Superstar Jennifer Lopez tops our list. Lopez was kicked out of her home for choosing to pursue a career in dance rather than a college education. For weeks after, she spent all of her time at the dance studio and even slept there since she could not afford another place to stay. Other successful celebrity women who have been homeless include Halle Berry, Carmen Electra, and Jewel.
Tyler Perry may have an estimated net worth of $400 million, but the Madea mastermind lived out of his car when he was a struggling playwright. Other celebs who have had great success after struggling with homelessness include Steve Jobs, David Letterman, and Paul Mitchell founder John Paul DeJoria.
What do you think of all of the celebrities who used to be homeless?
- Photo: MTV International / Wikimedia Commons / CC BY 3.0Jennifer Lopez recently shared that she was homeless a few months before she booked “In Living Color.” The former Fly Girl used to sleep in her dance studio because she had nowhere else to go.
- Age: 53
- Birthplace: Castle Hill, New York City, New York, United States of America
- Photo: Matthew Yohe / Wikimedia Commons / CC-BY-SA 3.0Apple mastermind Steve Jobs crashed on friends' floors during college and returned glass Coke bottles to make a little bit of money. He recalled his meager beginnings during a commencement speech at Stanford University: "I would walk the 7 miles across town every Sunday night to get one good meal a week at the Hare Krishna temple."
- Age: Dec. at 56 (1955-2011)
- Birthplace: California, United States of America
- Photo: Alexander Horn / Wikimedia Commons / CC-BY-SA 2.5Halle Berry found herself homeless when she was first starting her career in Chicago. She told Reader's Digest that she is actually grateful for the situation, saying, “It taught me how to take care of myself and that I could live through any situation, even if it meant going to a shelter for a small stint, or living within my means, which were meager."
- Age: 56
- Birthplace: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
- Photo: Reynaldo Ramon / Wikimedia Commons / Public DomainDavid Letterman lived out of his 1973 Chevy pickup truck when he was just starting out in Los Angeles. The late night talk show host got his start by writing jokes for Jimmy Walker and soon he became a star in his own right.
- Age: 76
- Birthplace: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
- Photo: Katherine Brock / Wikimedia Commons / CC-BY-SA 2.0Long before she was a country music superstar, Shania Twain struggled with homelessness. When she was a child, Twain stayed at a Toronto shelter with her mother and siblings. Later, when Twain was just 16, she took shelter by squatting in a vacant house and sleeping on buses.
- Age: 57
- Birthplace: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
- Photo: Wikimedia Commons / Public DomainTyler Perry has gone on to become one of the most successful film makers in Hollywood, but he lived out of his car when he was a struggling playwright in Atlanta.
- Age: 53
- Birthplace: New Orleans, Louisiana, United States of America