List of Famous People with Autism ranked by fame and popularity. Autism is a disorder in which symptoms include impaired social interaction, delayed or disrupted verbal and non-verbal communication and repetitive behavior. Autism can be caused through genetics or by agents that cause birth defects. As of 2012, The Centers for Disease Control report that 20 per 1,000 children in the United States are diagnosed with autism.
Who is the most famous person with autism? Albert Einstein tops our list. Einstein is amongst a list of historical figures who are suspected to have had autism. Autism wasn't classified as a disorder until the 1940s. Einstein is thought to have had autism because he experienced language delays and educational slowness. Other historical figures who are thought to have had autism include Charles Darwin, Isaac Newton and Mozart.
Hole front woman Courtney Love was diagnosed with a mild case of autism as a child. Daryl Hannah has struggled with autism all her life and she says that the disorder made her “terrified of fame.” Author Temple Grandin is one of the most famous women with autism. Grandin works tirelessly for the causes of animal rights and autistic rights.What do you think of all of the famous people who have been diagnosed with autism? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
- Photo: Metaweb / CC-BY
In November 2014, Jerry Seinfeld told Brian Williams on NBC's Nightly News that he believes he's on the autism spectrum. "I think, on a very drawn-out scale, I think I'm on the spectrum."
"Basic social engagement is really a struggle. I'm very literal, when people talk to me and they use expressions, sometimes I don't know what they're saying," Seinfeld said. "But I don't see it as dysfunctional, I just think of it as an alternate mindset."Source: NBC
- Age: 66
- Birthplace: New York City, New York, United States of America
- Photo: Tinseltown / ShutterstockDaryl Hannah has been coping with autism since she was a child. She says that in her youth, doctors wanted to institutionalize her.
- Age: 59
- Birthplace: Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
- Photo: Metaweb / GNU Free Documentation LicenseExperts believe that Andy Warhol's social ineptitude, use of minimal words in speech and difficulty recognizing friends are all signs that the pop artist was autistic.
- Age: Dec. at 59 (1928-1987)
- Birthplace: Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, Area code 412, Contiguous United States, United States of America
- Photo: flickr / CC0Courtney Love was diagnosed by one of her therapists as having a mild form of autism.
- Age: 56
- Birthplace: California, United States of America