List of Famous People with Diabetes, loosely ranked by fame and popularity. Diabetes is a term for metabolic diseases that result in and individual having high blood sugar. Type I diabetes results from the body's failure to produce insulin. Type II diabetes is a condition where cells fail to properly use the insulin that the body produces. Type I diabetes is typically caused by genetics and is unrelated to lifestyle, whereas Type II diabetes is primarily caused by lifestyle choices. There is no known cure for diabetes although it is treatable.
Who is the most famous person with diabetes? Halle Berry tops our list. The “Catwoman” actress drastically changed her diet upon receiving the diagnosis and she tests her insulin levels multiple times a day. Berry's “Cloud Atlas” co-star Tom Hanks announced in an interview with David Letterman that he also suffers from Type II diabetes. Hanks has repeatedly gained and lost weight for various roles, which may have played into his diabetes diagnosis.
Celebrity chef Paula Deen, who is known for making decadent dishes with lots of butter and bacon, is also diagnosed with Type II diabetes. Deen still loves her southern cooking, but she adapted a healthier lifestyle upon hearing the diagnosis. That's more than can be said about Elvis Presley, who chose not to treat his diabetes. Many people believe that this is one of the factors of his early death.Why do you think so many famous people have been diagnosed with diabetes? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
- Photo: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BYHalle Berry was diagnosed with Type II diabetes as a young woman. Berry said she changed her diet drastically after the diagnosis. She states, "I started to eat loads of wonderful fresh vegetables, chicken, fresh fish and pasta. I cut out red meat and cut back on fruit because it can contain quite a lot of sugar."
- Age: 49
- Birthplace: Cleveland, Ohio, United States of America
- Photo: Metaweb / CC-BY"Basic Instinct" star Sharon Stone was diagnosed with Type I diabetes.
- Age: 62
- Birthplace: Meadville, Pennsylvania, USA
- Photo: flickr / CC0Tom Hanks revealed that he was diagnosed with Type II diabetes in a candid interview with David Letterman.
- Age: 64
- Birthplace: Concord, California, USA
- Photo: flickr / CC0Pop star Nick Jonas was diagnosed with Type I diabetes in 2005.
- Age: 28
- Birthplace: Texas, USA, Dallas