Eating disorders are diseases that involve abnormal eating habits, from eating very little to eating an excessive amount of food. The most well-known eating disorders are bulimia nervosa and anorexia nervosa. Bulimia involves eating an excessive amount of food, then vomiting to rid oneself of the food. Anorexia involves an individual restricting their food intake.
Celebrities who have suffered from eating disorders include Jessica Alba, who said in an interview with Glamour, "A lot of girls have eating disorders, and I did too - I got obsessed with it." Actress Kate Beckinsale is formerly anorexic. She doesn't blame the media for pressuring girls into eating disorders and instead says issues with food are more about what is going on in the home. Other actresses who have struggled with eating disorders include Kate Winslet, Christina Ricci, and Jane Fonda.
Musicians have also struggled with eating disorders. “Criminal” singer Fiona Apple turned to anorexia as an emotional response to being sexually assaulted. Men, too, are affected. Silverchair frontman Daniel Johns said that his struggle with anorexia was a result of his life spinning out of control at the height of his band's success.
- Photo: Tinseltown / ShutterstockElton John has struggled with bulimia as when he was "chewing and spitting" rather than consuming his food. The superstar has also had a very public struggle with drug abuse.
- Age: 73
- Birthplace: Pinner, London, United Kingdom
Actress Kate Beckinsale struggled with an eating disorder during her teens. Beckinsale said of her anorexia, "People keep asking me about it, but I don't want to be famous for being a former anorexic."
- Age: 47
- Birthplace: Finsbury Park, London, United Kingdom
- Actress Jessica Alba has struggled with anorexia in her past. In an interview with Glamour magazine, she said, "A lot of girls have eating disorders, and I did too - I got obsessed with it."
- Age: 34
- Birthplace: Pomona, California, United States of America
- Photo: David Shankbone / FlickrKatie Couric struggled with bulimia in her college years. She described the disorder as "so damaging, both psychically and physically."
- Age: 63
- Birthplace: Virginia, USA