List of famous people with epilepsy, loosely ranked by fame and popularity. Epilepsy is a common set of neurological disorders that are characterized by seizures. About 50 million people in the world have epilepsy, including a number of musicians, athletes, and Hollywood stars. There currently is no cure for epilepsy and medication can be used to treat the symptoms, but in severe cases even treatment can not stop the seizures.
Who are the most famous epileptics? Elton John tops our list. The “Your Song” musician began to suffer from severe epileptic fits in the 1980s, thought to be induced by his years of drug use. The seizures have reduced drastically in the '90s and beyond because John stopped abusing drugs and alcohol. Other celebrity musicians who have epilepsy include Lil Wayne, Prince, and Neil Young.
Lethal Weapon star Danny Glover first started having seizures at age 15, but he wasn't diagnosed with epilepsy until much later. Glover even experienced six seizures in one night. Later in life, Glover's seizure stopped for seemingly no reason. Other famous people with epilepsy include Truman Capote, Tiki Barber, and Vincent Van Gogh.Do you think that doctors and scientists will ever find a cure to epilepsy? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
- Photo: history-art-photos / FlickrAlexander the Great had epilepsy although at the time is was diagnosed as the "sacred disease."
- Age: Dec. at 33 (355 BC-322 BC)
- Birthplace: Pella, Greece
- Beastie Boy Adam Horovitz has epilepsy and even experienced a grand mal seizure.
- Age: 53
- Birthplace: Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States of America
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Fair useThe "Matrix" star Hugo Weaving was diagnosed with epilepsy at age 13. He doesn't drive a car because of his high risk of seizure.
- Age: 60
- Birthplace: Ibadan, Nigeria
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Fair useMusician Neil Young was diagnosed with epilepsy in his childhood.
- Age: 74
- Birthplace: Toronto, Canada