List of famous people with epilepsy, loosely ranked by fame and popularity. Epilepsy is a common set of neurological disorders that are characterized by seizures. About 50 million people in the world have epilepsy, including a number of musicians, athletes, and Hollywood stars. There currently is no cure for epilepsy and medication can be used to treat the symptoms, but in severe cases even treatment can not stop the seizures.
Who are the most famous epileptics? Elton John tops our list. The “Your Song” musician began to suffer from severe epileptic fits in the 1980s, thought to be induced by his years of drug use. The seizures have reduced drastically in the '90s and beyond because John stopped abusing drugs and alcohol. Other celebrity musicians who have epilepsy include Lil Wayne, Prince, and Neil Young.
Lethal Weapon star Danny Glover first started having seizures at age 15, but he wasn't diagnosed with epilepsy until much later. Glover even experienced six seizures in one night. Later in life, Glover's seizure stopped for seemingly no reason. Other famous people with epilepsy include Truman Capote, Tiki Barber, and Vincent Van Gogh.Do you think that doctors and scientists will ever find a cure to epilepsy? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
- Photo: Jared Milgrim/CorbisPop icon Prince struggled with epilepsy in his childhood.
- Age: Dec. at 57 (1958-2016)
- Birthplace: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States of America
- Lil Wayne recently revealed that he has epilepsy. He says that he doesn't know what it feels like to have a seizure because he blacks out every time it happens.
- Age: 38
- Birthplace: Hollygrove, New Orleans, Louisiana, United States of America
- Photo: Tinseltown / ShutterstockElton John has struggled with epilepsy for years. It is thought that the epilepsy was induced by the star's years of drug use.
- Age: 73
- Birthplace: Pinner, London, United Kingdom
- Danny Glover has epilepsy and regularly suffered from seizures for a 20 year period of his life.
- Age: 74
- Birthplace: California, United States of America