When people have funny names that relate to the things they do in life, it is called an aptronym. From Tim Duncan who is always dunkin' on the court to Anthony Wiener who has a fondness for showing off his appendage, there are a lot of notable people out there with literal names that are sure to give you a chuckle. Some of the most famous aptronyms include athletes whose names either reflect the sport they play or their position.
Of all the groups of people in the world, though, there seems to be one that has more aptronyms than anyone else: meteorologists. There are so many meteorologists with aptronym names that there's almost one for every type of whether pattern you could imagine. From Raines to Blizzard to Storm to Freeze (and more!), meteorologists take the aptronym cake.
English isn't the only language that has famous people with literal names. Almost every language and culture in the world has at least a few aptronyms. The retired Serbian NBA player, Vlade Divac was a giant on the court. It's appropriate, then, that in Serbian, div means giant.There's just no getting around aptronyms sometimes so check out this list of some of the most famous and hilarious ones out there - and don't forget to vote up those that make you laugh the most!
- 15322Famous manufacturer of Victorian toilets
- 13028Notoriously liked to show off his wiener
- 9920The 2003 World Series of Poker champion
- 11329Former NFL quarterback
Dr. Richard ChoppA doctor who performs vasectomies
- 8121Pitcher who won twice on opening day
- 9635The only beardless member of ZZ Top
- 7322Poet and advocate for the worth of words
Russell BrainDec. at 71 (1895-1966)Notable neurologist
- 7023Legendary rock producer for bands such as Aerosmith, Simple Plan, Bon Jovi, and more
Sara BlizzardAge: 51BBC meterologist
- 8536Died after losing his balance and falling two stories.
Larry PlayfairAge: 63NHL player notorious for his fighting
- 6520Former NASCAR driver
Jules AngstAge: 95Psychiatry professor with several works on anxiety.
- 6020Former judge and Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales
- 5920New York meterologist
- 5920Spokesperson for President Ronald Regan
George de Forest BrushDec. at 85 (1855-1941)Artist who deals heavily with camoflauge
- 4916Famous for knowing how to carry a tune on Broadway, as well as dance to one
Dallas RainesAge: 67Meteorologist in Los Angeles
- 5628NBA player who's great at dunking
- 4720Bass singer for NSYNC
Dr. Don LivermoreA whiskey expert