Hear a ringing in your ears? The celebrities on this list of famous people with tinnitus (which is loosely ranked by fame and popularity) sure do! Tinnitus is a condition that affects an individual's hearing so that they hear a constant ringing noise, humming or hissing. Tinnitus develops as a result of many causes including infections, stress, and allergies, but the most common cause is exposure to loud noise. No wonder there are so many rock stars and musicians with tinnitus on this list, in addition to the other celeb tinnitus sufferers!
Who is the most famous person with tinnitus? Former President Ronald Reagan tops our list. Reagan developed tinnitus while filming a movie. A blank gun was fired inches from his ear and permanently damaged his hearing. In the 80s, Reagan wore a hearing aid to help with the condition. Other actors with tinnitus as a result of being on set include William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, and Steve Martin.
Tons of famous musicians have developed tinnitus as a result of playing with loud bands. Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich says that he knew he had tinnitus when he woke up in the middle of the night to turn off a loud TV. As he reached for the remote, he realized that the television wasn't actually on and the noise was coming from his own ears. Other musicians that have tinnitus include The Who's Pete Townshend, Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor, and Eric Clapton.Are you surprised to learn about any of these celebrities with tinnitus? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainFormer President Ronald Reagan developed tinnitus after a black pistol was fired close to his ear during a film shoot.
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Fair useSteve Martin developed tinnitus on the set of Three Amigos because of a gun fight scene.
- Radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh has tinnitus in his right ear.
- William Shatner developed tinnitus by standing too close to speakers on the Star Trek set.
- Bob Dylan developed tinnitus after years of playing loud, live music.
- Photo: ShutterstockIt has been reported that tinnitus was a daily aggravation for evolutionist Charles Darwin.