Famous Poets from Bangladesh
List of notable or famous poets from Bangladesh, with bios and photos, including the top poets born in Bangladesh and even some popular poets who immigrated to Bangladesh. If you're trying to find out the names of famous Bangladeshi poets then this list is the perfect resource for you. These poets are among the most prominent in their field, and information about each well-known poet from Bangladesh is included when available.
List of famous Bangladeshi poem writers includes Taslima Nasrin, Swadesh Roy and more.
This historic poets from Bangladesh list can help answer the questions "Who are some Bangladeshi poets of note?" and "Who are the most famous poets from Bangladesh?" These prominent poets of Bangladesh may or may not be currently alive, but what they all have in common is that they're all respected Bangladeshi poets.Use this list of renowned Bangladeshi poets to discover some new poets that you aren't familiar with. Don't forget to share this list by clicking one of the social media icons at the top or bottom of the page.
- Photo: Metaweb (FB)Ahsan Habib (2 February 1917 – 10 July 1985) was a Bangladeshi poet and literary figure in Bengali culture. He was born in the village of Shankarpasha, in Pirojpur. Before the India-Pakistan partition, he worked on several literary magazines: Takbir, Bulbul (1937–38) and The Saogat (1939-43) and he was a staff artiste at the Kolkata Centre of All India Radio. After partition he came to Dhaka and worked on Daily Azad, Monthly Mohammadi, Daily Krishak, Daily Ittehad, Weekly Prabaha, etc.
- Age: Dec. at 68 (1917-1985)
- Birthplace: Pirojpur District, Bangladesh
- Arunabh Sarkar (born 29 May 1941) is a Bangladeshi poet, columnist, literary editor, and freedom fighter. He was born in Tangail, Bangladesh. He received the 2009 Bangla Academy Literary Award for poetry, Arunabh also received the Tangail Sahitya Sangsad Poetry Award for 2007. He has published three collection of poems : Nagare Baul, Keu Kichhui Jane Na, and Narira Fere Na. Sarkar also edited the poetry magazine Eshika from 1969 to 1985 and has been a journalist for some 40 years.
- Age: 82
- Birthplace: Bangladesh
- Asad Chowdhury (born 11 February 1943) is a poet, writer, translator, radio, television personality and journalist, as well as a cultural activist in Bangladesh. He won Ekushey Padak in 2013 and Bangla Academy Literary Award in 1987.
- Age: 80
- Birthplace: Bangladesh
- Farrukh Ahmad (10 June 1918 – 19 October 1974) was a poet and writer of Bangladesh. He is commonly known as the 'Poet of the Muslim renaissance', as many of his poems embody the spirit of resurrection, particularly in the hearts of the down-trodden Muslims of the then Bengal.
- Age: Dec. at 56 (1918-1974)
- Birthplace: Magura District, Bangladesh
- Photo: Metaweb (FB)Jasimuddin (Bengali: জসীম উদ্দীন) (1 January 1903 – 14 March 1976), popularly called Palli Kabi (Pastoral Poet), was a Bangladeshi poet, lyricist, composer and writer widely celebrated for his modern ballad sagas in the pastoral mode. His Nakshi Kanthar Math and Sojan Badiar Ghat are considered among the best lyrical poems in the Bengali language. He is the key figure for the revivals of pastoral literature in Bengal during the 20th century. A versatile writer, Jasimuddin wrote poems, ballads, songs, dramas, novel, stories, memoirs, travelogues, etc.Born in Faridpur, Jasimuddin was educated at Culcutta University where he also worked as Ramtanu Lahiri assistant research fellow under ...more
- Age: Dec. at 73 (1903-1976)
- Birthplace: Faridpur District, Bangladesh
- Jībanānanda Dāś (Bengali: জীবনানন্দ দাশ, ) (18 February 1899 – 22 October 1954) was a Bengali poet, writer, novelist and essayist. Popularly called "Rupashi Banglar Kabi'' (Poet of Beautiful Bengal), Das is probably the most read poet after Rabindranath Tagore and Nazrul Islam in Bangladesh and West Bengal. While not particularly recognised initially, today Das is acknowledged as one of the greatest poets in the Bengali language.Born in Barishal to a Vaidya-Brahmo family, Das studied English literature at Presidency College, Kolkata and earned his MA from Calcutta University. He had a troubling career and suffered financial hardship throughout his life. He taught at many colleges but was ...more
- Age: Dec. at 55 (1899-1954)
- Birthplace: Barisal, Bangladesh