Famous People You Didn't Know Were Presbyterian
Personal faith is, well, personal. So perhaps it's not surprising that you didn't know the religious affiliations of these famous singers, actors, and politicians. But a number of celebrity Presbyterians have made their mark in the performing arts or global arena.
Who will you find on this list of famous Presbyterians? Ronald Reagan lands in the top spot. The former U.S. President's father was Catholic and his mother was Presbyterian, and Reagan considered himself to be a Presbyterian throughout his life. He's not the only former President on the list – Abraham Lincoln attended services at First Presbyterian Church in Springfield where his wife Mary Todd Lincoln was a member. You'll see a number of other Presidents on this list as well.
Outside of the realm of politics, you'll see Presbyterian celebs including Sheryl Crow. The singer was raised as a Presbyterian, but she identifies as simply a Christian as an adult. Other notable people featured on this list of Presbyterian celebrities include John Wayne, Mark Twain, and Andrew Jackson.
Do you think that being Presbyterian helped these celebrities to succeed? Take a look at this list and share your thoughts in the comments section.
- Photo: Michael Evans / Wikimedia Commons / Public domain
Former President Ronald Reagan's father was Catholic and his mother was Presbyterian. He considered himself to be a Presbyterian throughout his life.
- Age: Dec. at 93 (1911-2004)
- Birthplace: Tampico, Illinois, USA
Jimmy Stewart was a lifelong and devout Presbyterian.
- Age: Died at 89 (1908-1997)
- Birthplace: Indiana, Pennsylvania, United States of America
- Photo: photos.lucywho.com / via Pinterest
Debbie Reynolds, who is often listed as Presbyterian, said, "I feel that I'm very fortunate, I have many good friends in my heart, I have my religion — and you can have whatever kind of religion; as long as you try the best you can, and you're a good person, that's all you can do."
- Age: Dec. at 84 (1932-2016)
- Birthplace: El Paso, Texas, USA
- Photo: Frank Driggs Collection / Wikimedia Commons / Public Domain
John Wayne was raised a Presbyterian, but he became more interested in Catholicism later in life.
- Age: Dec. at 72 (1907-1979)
- Birthplace: Winterset, USA, Iowa
- Photo: elviskennedy / flickr / CC-BY-NC-ND 2.0
Singer Sheryl Crow was raised as a Presbyterian, but she identifies as simply a Christian as an adult.
- Age: 61
- Birthplace: USA, Kennett, Missouri
- Photo: miss-shirley-temple.tumblr.com / via Pinterest
Shirley Temple was brought up in a Presbyterian household, but her family regularly attended Episcopal churches since they were closer to her home.
- Age: Dec. at 85 (1928-2014)
- Birthplace: Santa Monica, California, USA