List of notable or famous professors from India, with bios and photos, including the top professors born in India and even some popular professors who immigrated to India. If you're trying to find out the names of famous Indian professors then this list is the perfect resource for you. These professors are among the most prominent in their field, and information about each well-known professor from India is included when available.
List people include Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, Manmohan Singh and many more.
This historic professors from India list can help answer the questions "Who are some Indian professors of note?" and "Who are the most famous professors from India?" These prominent professors of India may or may not be currently alive, but what they all have in common is that they're all respected Indian professors.Use this list of renowned Indian professors to discover some new professors that you aren't familiar with. Don't forget to share this list by clicking one of the social media icons at the top or bottom of the page.
Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam ( (listen); 15 October 1931 – 27 July 2015) was an aerospace scientist who served as the 11th President of India from 2002 to 2007. He was born and raised in ...more
- Birthplace: Rameswaram, India
Abhijit Vinayak Banerjee (Bengali: অভিজিৎ বন্দ্যোপাধ্যায়; born 1961) is an American economist. He is currently the Ford Foundation International Professor of Economics at MIT. Banerjee is a ...more
- Birthplace: Kolkata, India
Abraham Verghese (born 1955) is an American physician, author, Professor for the Theory and Practice of Medicine at Stanford University Medical School and Senior Associate Chair of the Department of ...more
- Birthplace: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Aijaz Ahmad (born 1932) is a Marxist philosopher, literary theorist and political commentator. He is currently the Chancellor's Professor at the UC Irvine School of Humanities’ Department of ...more
Amartya Kumar Sen, (Bengali: [ˈɔmort:o ˈʃen]; born 3 November 1933) is an Indian economist and philosopher, who since 1972 has taught and worked in India, the United Kingdom, and the United States. ...more
- Birthplace: Santiniketan, India
- Anindya (Rana) Sinha is an Indian primatologist. He is a professor at the National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS), India.
- Arvind Panagariya (born 30 September 1952) is an Indian-American economist and a professor of economics at Columbia University, who served as first vice-chairman of the government of India think-tank ...more
Ashok Jhunjhunwala is a professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Madras at Chennai, India and has served as the departmental chair.He leads the ...more
- Birthplace: Kolkata, India
Avinash Kamalakar Dixit (born 6 August 1944, in Bombay, India) is an Indian-American economist. He was the John J. F. Sherrerd '52 University Professor of Economics Emeritus at Princeton University, ...more
- Birthplace: Mumbai, India
Barid Baran Bhattacharya (9 March 1945 – 14 February 2017) was an Indian economist and educationist. He was vice-chancellor of Jawaharlal Nehru University. He was also Director and Professor at the ...more
- Birthplace: Silchar, India
Bhaskar Anand Saletore (1902–1963), better known as B. A. Saletore, was an Indian historian from Mangalore, Karnataka.
- Birthplace: Puttur taluk
Bala V. Balachandran (born 5 July 1937) is a Professor Emeritus of Accounting Information & Management at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University and Founder and Dean of Great ...more
- Birthplace: Tamil Nadu
Bhargavi Prabhanjan Rao (14 August 1944 – 23 May 2008), a Sahitya Akademi Awardee, was an eminent translator in Telugu Literature. She was actively involved in translating various works of celebrated ...more
- Birthplace: Bellary, India
Bibek Debroy (born 25 January 1955) is an Indian economist and author. Debroy has made significant contributions to game theory, economic theory, income and social inequalities, poverty, law reforms, ...more
- Birthplace: India
Bipan Chandra (27 May 1928 – 30 August 2014) was an Indian Marxist historian, specialising in economic and political history of modern India. An emeritus professor of modern history at Jawaharlal ...more
- Birthplace: Kangra, Himachal Pradesh, India
- Bishnupriya Dutt is the daughter of late Utpal Dutt.
- Brahma Chellaney is a strategic thinker, author, public intellectual and analyst of international geostrategic trends. He is respected for his depth of scholarship and for his independent mind. He ...more
Brij Kothari (born 9 June 1964) is an Indian academic and a social entrepreneur. He invented Same Language Subtitling on TV for mass literacy in India.
- Birthplace: Nanded, India
Coimbatore Krishnarao Prahalad (8 August 1941 – 16 April 2010) was the Paul and Ruth McCracken Distinguished University Professor of Corporate Strategy at University of Michigan Stephen M. Ross ...more
- Birthplace: Eurasia, Coimbatore, India, Coimbatore district, Tamil Nadu
- Deepa Kumar is an associate professor of media studies and Middle Eastern studies at Rutgers University (New Jersey). She earned her BA at Bangalore University (India), and an M.A. and Ph.D. at the ...more
- Dipesh Chakrabarty (born 1948, in Kolkata, India) is a Indian historian, who has also made contributions to postcolonial theory and subaltern studies. He is the Lawrence A. Kimpton Distinguished ...more
Gururaja Shyamacharya Amur (Kannada: ಜಿ. ಎಸ್. ಆಮೂರ; born 8 May 1925), a professor of literature, is a contemporary writer and critic in the Kannada and English languages. He is a recipient of many ...more
- Birthplace: Dharwad district, India
Gopi Chand Narang (born 11 February 1931 in Dukki, Balochistan) is an Indian theorist, literary critic and scholar who writes in Urdu and English. His Urdu literary criticism has incorporated a range ...more
- Birthplace: Pakistan
Gunvant Shah is an essayist, educationist, columnist and philosophy writer and critics from Gujarat, India. He taught at various universities and participated in various education oriented events and ...more
- Birthplace: Surat, India
Homi K. Bhabha (; born 1 November 1949) is an Indian English scholar and critical theorist. He is the Anne F. Rothenberg Professor of English and American Literature and Language, and the Director of ...more
- Birthplace: Mumbai, India