Who are the funniest sketch comedy groups of all time? The best sketch comedy groups are known for producing hilarious comedy shows and skits for stage and screen. collectives and groups from around the world specializing in short-form comedy, including some focused entirely on improv comedy. Many of these groups - such as Human Giant, The State, Mitchell and Webb, The Whitest Kids U Know and The Kids in the Hall - have gone on to star in television shows or even comedy films based on their performances. Others, such as the Royal Canadian Air Farce and Lonely Island - also gained notoriety for releasing comedy albums. Others have concentrated exclusively on uploading sketches to the Web (especially YouTube) or touring the country performing live comedy in theaters. These may not be all the sketch comedy groups out there, but they are the best. Vote for your favorite and add any that have been missed.
The explosion of sketch comedy as a dominant form for American humorists can be largely traced back to the massive success of "Saturday Night Live" in the US in the 1970s, which introduced the format to many Americans. A number of contemporary sketch comedy troupes - including the legendary Groundlings and Upright Citizens Brigade - have become well-known as "feeders" for "Saturday Night Live," graduating students prepared to audition for the famed late-night comedy institution.
This list includes the most famous, notable and celebrated sketch comedy groups from around the world. When you're done, check out our list of sketch comedy shows.
- United KingdomMonty Python (also collectively known as the Pythons) are a British surreal comedy group who created the sketch comedy television show Monty Python's Flying Circus, which first aired on the BBC in ...more
- CanadaThe Kids in the Hall (HBO, 1989) is a Canadian sketch comedy TV series starring the comedy troupe of the same name. Comedians Dave Foley, Kevin McDonald, Bruce McCulloch, Mark McKinney, and Scott ...more
- CanadaSCTV is a Canadian television sketch comedy show offshoot from Toronto's Second City troupe that ran between 1976 and 1984.
- United StatesThe sketch-comedy show, starring comic Dave Chappelle, follows the tried-and-true formula of similar shows that preceded it. Chappelle performs a stand-up routine that leads into a taped comedy ...more
- United StatesMad TV is a television station management simulation computer game produced in 1991 by Rainbow Arts. It is loosely based on Mad Magazine, and the game's introduction animation features the magazine's ...more
- United StatesSaturday Night Live (NBC, 1975), also known as SNL, is an American late-night live television sketch comedy and variety show created by Lorne Michaels and developed by Dick Ebersol. Hosted by a ...more
- United KingdomThe Benny Hill Show is a British comedy television show that starred Benny Hill and aired in various incarnations between 15 January 1955 and 30 May 1991 in over 140 countries. The show focused on ...more
- This series is composed of surreal sketch comedy pieces dealing with everything from politics and religion to popular culture. The show, starring Bob Odenkirk and David Cross, features a cast of ...more
- United KingdomSketch show with Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie.
- United KingdomMitchell and Webb are a British comedy double act, composed of David Mitchell (born 14 July 1974) and Robert Webb (born 29 September 1972). They are best known for starring in the Channel 4 sitcom ...more
- United KingdomNot the Nine O'Clock News is a television comedy sketch show which was broadcast on BBC2 from 1979 to 1982. Originally shown as a comedy alternative to the Nine O'Clock News on BBC1, it featured ...more
- United StatesAction figures spoof pop culture.
- United StatesThe Whitest Kids U' Know (IFC, 2007) is an American sketch comedy show created by the comedy troupe. Featuring members Sam Brown, Zach Cregger, Trevor Moore, Darren Trumeter, and Timmy Williams, the ...more
- New ZealandFlight of the Conchords (HBO, 2007) is an American/New Zealand comedy series created by James Bobin and real-life duo Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie. Cutting edge musical comics Bret and Jemaine ...more
- United KingdomFrench and Saunders is a British sketch comedy television series written by and starring comic duo Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders. It is also the name by which the performers are known on the ...more
- United StatesThe Lonely Island is an American comedy trio, formed by Akiva Schaffer, Andy Samberg, and Jorma Taccone in Berkeley, California in 2001. The three first met in junior high, and went on to write and ...more
- United KingdomComic actors David Walliams and Matt Lucas take viewers on a cockeyed tour of Great Britain via a gallery of eccentric characters, including Daffyd, "the only gay" in his tiny Welsh village; teen ...more
- Broken Lizard is an American comedy troupe that comprises Jay Chandrasekhar, Kevin Heffernan, Steve Lemme, Paul Soter, and Erik Stolhanske. They collaborate on the screen-writing, acting and ...more
- United StatesThe State is a half-hour sketch-comedy television show, originally broadcast in the USA on MTV between December 17, 1993, and July 1, 1995. The show combined bizarre characters and scenarios to ...more
- United KingdomComedy sketch series co-written and performed by Catherine Tate.
- CanadaYou Can't Do That on Television is a Canadian television program that first aired locally in 1979 before airing internationally in 1981. It featured pre-teen and teenaged actors in a sketch comedy ...more
- United KingdomThe Mighty Boosh is a British comedy troupe featuring comedians Julian Barratt and Noel Fielding. Developed from three stage shows and a six-episode radio series, it has since spawned a total of 20 ...more
- United StatesYoung actors perform in comedy sketches.
- United KingdomA small town is inhabited by a number of offbeat characters.
- United StatesComedian and stage actress Carol Burnett, who first gained popularity during her stint on "The Gary Moore Show," hosted this one-hour variety series. Her talented supporting players included Harvey ...more