List of Famous Survivors of Child Abuse, loosely ranked by fame and popularity. Many actors, musicians and celebrities have spoken out against child abuse and shared their own personal experiences and struggles. If you are in need of help and want to speak to someone about your experience with child abuse or if you would like to report suspected abuse call the National Child Abuse Help Hotline at 1-800-4-A-CHILD.
Who is the most famous survivor of child abuse? Drew Barrymore tops our list. Drew Barrymore was neglected and abused as a child. As a young Hollywood star, Barrymore was a regular at Studio 54 when she was just 11. Barrymore entered rehab for the first time at age 14. Drew Barrymore struggled with addiction throughout her life, but she has risen above her past experiences to become a successful Hollywood actress, producer and director.
Talk show host Oprah Winfrey has turned her horrible experiences with childhood abuse into an inspiring tale of triumph. Winfrey suffered physical and sexual abuse growing up and at the age of 13 she ran away. On her talk show, Oprah Winfrey frequently welcomed guests who had also suffered abuse, in hopes to raise awareness and take away the shame associated with it. Tyler Perry recently came forward with his experiences with abuse in hopes to inspire other men to release themselves from unnecessary guilt.Are you surprised that so many famous people have been the victims of child abuse? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
- Photo: Metaweb / CC-BYDrew Barrymore suffered child abuse at the hand of her father John Barrymore. Drew, growing up a child star, was also introduced to drugs, alcohol, and sex at an early age.
- Photo: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BYOprah Winfrey suffered from sexual abuse as a child in Milwaukee. The talk show host has been vocal about her experience, and she has helped many other victims move past their horrific pasts.
- Christina Aguilera was emotionally and physically abused by her father growing up. The singer has been estranged from her father for over 10 years.
- Marilyn Monroe was passed around the foster care system as a child, and she suffered sexual abuse from the men in her life. Monroe was one of the first public figures to discuss her experience with abuse in public.
- Photo: Metaweb / GNU Free Documentation LicenseBill Clinton's stepfather Roger Clinton was abusive and struggled with alcoholism. Clinton said that growing up, he never let anyone know what was going on at home. It was like he was living two parallel lives.
- Tyler Perry suffered from physical abuse at the hand of his own father and sexual abuse from several adults that were present in his childhood. Perry bravely discussed his past in an interview with Oprah Winfrey.