This list of famous women with postpartum depression is loosely ranked by fame and popularity. Postpartum depression is a clinical disorder that affects women after they give birth. Common symptoms include sadness, hopelessness, emptiness, and guilt. Several famous actresses and musicians have suffered from the effects of postpartum depression.
Who is the most famous woman who had postpartum depression? Angelina Jolie tops this list. In 2008, Angelina Jolie reportedly suffered from postpartum depression after giving birth to twins Vivienne and Knox. Gwyneth Paltrow had a hard time connecting with her son Moses in 2006, also because of postpartum depression.
Even Princess Diana suffered from postpartum depression after giving birth to her son, Prince William. She told Martin Bashir, "I was unwell with post-natal depression, which no one ever discusses, post-natal depression, you have to read about it afterwards, and that in itself was a bit of a difficult time. You'd wake up in the morning feeling you didn't want to get out of bed, you felt misunderstood, and just very, very low in yourself."Do you know any people who have struggled with postpartum depression? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
- Photo: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BYCourteney Cox had a delayed case of postpartum depression after the birth of daughter Coco. She told USA Today, "I couldn't sleep. My heart was racing. And I got really depressed. I went to the doctor and found out my hormones had been pummeled."
- Born: 1964-06-15
- Age: 51
- Birthplace: Birmingham, Alabama, United States of America
- Photo: Metaweb / GNU Free Documentation LicenseBrooke Shields has been very open about her struggles with postpartum depression. She told Oprah Winfrey, "This gripped my heart to such an extent that I didn't even have the desire to try to overcome it. I mean, I was flattened by it. I was devastated by it. And it wasn't the "baby blues." And I was told it was the "baby blues" at first. And so then, what was wrong with me was even worse. I thought, "Well then I must epitomize failure if I can't even get past this."
- Born: 1965-05-31
- Age: 55
- Birthplace: Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States of America
- Photo: Tinseltown / ShutterstockPlaymate Kendra Wilkinson described her postpartum depression to In Touch Weekly saying, "I felt devastated, helpless - like I was in a black hole."
- Born: 1985-06-12
- Age: 35
- Birthplace: San Diego, California, United States of America
- Photo: Metaweb / GNU Free Documentation LicenseAmanda Peet suffered from postpartum depression after giving birth to her daughter Frances in 2007. She told Gotham, "I want to be honest about it because I think there’s still so much shame when you have mixed feelings about being a mom instead of feeling this sort of ‘bliss.’ I think a lot of people still really struggle with that, but it’s hard to find other people who are willing to talk about it."
- Born: 1972-01-11
- Age: 43
- Birthplace: New York City, New York, USA