List of famous writers from Algeria, listed alphabetically with photos when available. Algeria is home to many prolific writers, including those who write fiction, non-fiction, poetry, biographies and more. These are some of the best Algerian writers that have ever lived, so if you're a native of Algeria and an aspiring writer then use this list as inspiration to achieve your own writing goals.
Examples of writers on this list include Josée Dayan and Emmanuel Roblès.
This list answers the questions, "Who are popular Algerian writers?" and "Which writers are from Algeria?"You can click on the names of these renowned writers of Algeria in order to get more information about each one. Some of these historic writers may no longer be living in Algeria, but they're all of Algeria descent.
- Albert Camus (; French: [albɛʁ kamy] (listen); 7 November 1913 – 4 January 1960) was a French... more
- Jacques Derrida (; French: [ʒak dɛʁida]; born Jackie Élie Derrida; July 15, 1930 – October 9,... more
- Saint Augustine of Hippo (; 13 November 354 – 28 August 430 AD) was a Roman African, early... more
- Jean-Claude Brialy (30 March 1933 – 30 May 2007) was a French actor and director.... more
- Daniel Auteuil (French pronunciation: [danjɛl otœj]; born 24 January 1950) is a French actor... more
- Fatima-Zohra Imalayen (30 June 1936 – 6 February 2015), known by her pen name Assia Djebar... more
- Didier Bourdon (French pronunciation: [didje buʁdɔ̃]; born 23 January 1959) is a French... more
- Jacques Fieschi (born 1948) is a French screenwriter. He has written for more than 30 films... more
- Patrick Timsit (French pronunciation: [patʁik timˈsit]) is a French comedian, writer and film... more
- Hélène Cixous (; French: [siksu]; born 5 June 1937) is a professor, French feminist writer,... more
Mohammed DibDec. at 83 (1920-2003)Mohammed Dib (Arabic: محمد ديب; 21 July 1920 – 2 May 2003) was an Algerian author. He wrote... more
- Lyès Salem is an actor, film director and screenwriter.... more
- Ahmed Mekky (Arabic: أحمد مكي) is an Algerian born Egyptian actor, writer, director and... more
- Rashid Boudjedra (Arabic: رشيد بوجدرة) (b. 5 September 1941 in Aïn Beïda, Algeria) is an... more
- Mohammed Lakhdar-Hamina (Arabic: محمد الأخضر حمينة; born in M'sila on 26 February 1930) is an... more
- Yasmina Khadra (Arabic: ياسمينة خضراء, literally meaning "green jasmine") is the pen name of... more
- Azouz Begag, (Arabic: عزوز بقاق) (born 5 February 1957) is a French writer, politician and... more
- Frantz Fanon (French: [fʁɑ̃ts fanɔ̃]; 20 July 1925 – 6 December 1961), also known as Ibrahim... more
- Maria Cardinal is a screenwriter and actress.... more
- Josée Dayan is a film director.... more
- Dominique Cardona is a film director, film producer and screenwriter.... more
- Ahmed Rachedi (born 1938) is an Algerian film director and screenwriter. He was nominated for... more
- Ahlem Mosteghanemi (Arabic: أحلام مستغانمي), alternatively written Ahlam Mosteghanemi (born... more
Tariq TeguiaAge: 53Tariq Teguia is a film director, screenwriter and film producer....
- Mahmoud Zemmouri is a film director, actor and screenwriter.... more