Photos of fashion designers whose names you know, but who you might not be able to pick out of a lineup. What does Manolo Blahnik look like? He looks like a guy with a lot of money. Maybe you've seen already photos of fashion designers at their own runway shows. Maybe you already know what all the people on this list look like. Great! But this list is for folks who are wondering about the faces behind the famous brands, and also the bodies and the clothes.This list of fashion designer photos includes information about the company founders themselves, including when they started their famous brands. Some of the famous fashion designers on this list are long gone, their companies now run by family members or other people. Here are photos of famous shoe designers as well as high fashion designers of both men's and women's apparel.
- Photo: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BYChristian Dior started his fashion career working with designer Robert Piguet in the late-1930s. He founded his fashion house in 1946, and his designs were embraced by Harper's Bazaar editor-in-chief Carmel Snow, who propelled the Dior name into the international spotlight.
- Born: 1905-01-21
- Age: Dec. at 52 (1905-1957)
- Birthplace: Granville, France
- Photo: flickr / CC0Manolo Blahnik worked at a vintage clothing shop while in school in Paris in 1965. A few years later, he worked in London as a buyer for the fashion boutique Zapata and wrote for L'Uomo Vogue. After years spent sketching footwear, he created his first shoes in 1972 for the swinging '60s designer Ossie Clark. Blahnik bought Zapata from its owners, opened his own boutique, and was featured on the cover of U.L. Vogue in 1974.
- Born: 1942-11-28
- Age: 77
- Birthplace: Santa Cruz de La Palma, Spain
Orla KielyPhoto: Metaweb / GNU Free Documentation LicenseOrla Kiely started her career as a hat designer before creating the patterned handbags that would make her famous. She and her husband, Dermott Rowan, founded the Orla Kiely Partnership in 1997.
- Photo: Metaweb / CC-BYAfter working as an apprentice for Roger Vivier, the man who invented the stiletto heal, Christian Louboutin went on to work for Chanel, Yves Saint Laurent, and Maud Frizon before starting his own company in 1991. His shoes have gone on to become the most popular brand amongst fashionistas, celebrities, and shoe lovers around the world.
- Born: 1963-01-07
- Age: 57
- Birthplace: Paris, France