Boy meets girl. Boy loses girl. Boy gets girl back, and they live happily ever after. That simple formula describes a very large percentage of the films produced in Hollywood. However, not every story is about a woman finding the man of her dreams. There is a small, but significant sect of cinema that delves into the psyche of the female in her natural habitat... with her girlfriends. These are the best female friendships in film.
These movies with female friendship can be found in every genre. They depict women in different stages of their lives, at various ages. Some of the films on this list are pure weepies, specifically designed to make us bawl like babies. Other films below are about how girls come of age together. They may be in high school or even in their 20s, trying to figure out what it takes to become an adult. Of course, there are a couple road trip movies listed here. Women need to escape from everyday life too, it’s not just the men that get to do their best Jack Kerouac impression and hit the pavement!
Despite genre or age, one thing remains true throughout all these movies: depicting women friendship in film is an intricate matter. These stories are not just about having wine with your best gal pals and complaining about your boyfriend. These narratives appreciate the finer details of female friendship. They get that no matter what has happened, and no matter what will happen, a good friend is the foundation of many females' happiness and livelihood. Our good friends are our rocks in life and keep us afloat.Be sure to celebrate the female friendships in your own life by voting up the best female friendships to have ever been depicted on film below!
Is there anything more sacred than friendships formed at the beauty salon? Steel Magnolias examines the friendship of four Southern ladies from a small town in Louisiana. If the worst thing in the world that can happen to a person is lose a child, it's at least a comfort to know that it becomes more bearable when a girl has her best friends around.
It would be a mistake to classify Steel Magnolias as just a weepie, you will cry your eyes out watching it, but you will also laugh and feel the love between these friends.
4915Is this one of the best?
- Actors: Sally Field, Dolly Parton, Shirley MacLaine, Daryl Hannah, Olympia Dukakis
- Released: 1989
- Directed by: Herbert Ross
- Tagline: The funniest movie ever to make you cry.
- Fried Green Tomatoes features the story of two different sets of southern friends from different eras. There is no end to the sacrifice that friends are willing to make in this film. Sure the story is specifically crafted to evoke your tear ducts, but when done correctly, there is nothing wrong with a movie being sugary sweet.
4513Is this one of the best?
- Actors: Kathy Bates, Mary-Louise Parker, Chris O'Donnell, Mary Stuart Masterson, Jessica Tandy
- Released: 1991
- Directed by: Jon Avnet
- Who would have thought that a single pair of pants could have kept all of the girls in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants together as they each embark on their own disparate summer adventures? Oh, that's right: these girls.
4414Is this one of the best?
- Actors: Blake Lively, America Ferrera, Nancy Travis, Amber Tamblyn, Mike Vogel
- Released: 2005
- Directed by: Ken Kwapis
- Penny Marshall's 1992 comedy is yet another film on this list that centers around breaking down stereotypes. Based on a true story, the tale of a league of female baseball players that formed when the men went off to fight in WWII, is not just another underdog sports story. The film is set during one of the most uncertain times in United States history, yet the Rockford Peaches baseball team banded together to help the nation heal, and help each other stay strong while their loved ones went off to fight abroad. And of course, there is no crying in baseball.
5727Is this one of the best?
- Actors: Madonna, Tom Hanks, Rosie O'Donnell, Geena Davis, Téa Leoni
- Released: 1992
- Directed by: Penny Marshall
- Tagline: There's no crying in baseball!, Once in a lifetime you get a chance to do something different., To achieve the incredible you have to attempt the impossible., A woman's place is on home, first