Boy meets girl. Boy loses girl. Boy gets girl back, and they live happily ever after. That simple formula describes a very large percentage of the films produced in Hollywood. However, not every story is about a woman finding the man of her dreams. There is a small, but significant sect of cinema that delves into the psyche of the female in her natural habitat... with her girlfriends. These are the best female friendships in film.
These movies with female friendship can be found in every genre. They depict women in different stages of their lives, at various ages. Some of the films on this list are pure weepies, specifically designed to make us bawl like babies. Other films below are about how girls come of age together. They may be in high school or even in their 20s, trying to figure out what it takes to become an adult. Of course, there are a couple road trip movies listed here. Women need to escape from everyday life too, it’s not just the men that get to do their best Jack Kerouac impression and hit the pavement!
Despite genre or age, one thing remains true throughout all these movies: depicting women friendship in film is an intricate matter. These stories are not just about having wine with your best gal pals and complaining about your boyfriend. These narratives appreciate the finer details of female friendship. They get that no matter what has happened, and no matter what will happen, a good friend is the foundation of many females' happiness and livelihood. Our good friends are our rocks in life and keep us afloat.Be sure to celebrate the female friendships in your own life by voting up the best female friendships to have ever been depicted on film below!
- Two gal pals decide to get away from it all and embark upon a little road trip. Everything is going great for Thelma and Louise until Thelma kills a man who is threatening to rape Louise. In the end, their friendship confirms that they have to stick together, even if it means there is nowhere left to run.
8527Is this one of the best?
- Actors: Brad Pitt, Susan Sarandon, Geena Davis, Harvey Keitel, Michael Madsen
- Released: 1991
- Directed by: Ridley Scott
- Tagline: Somebody said get a life...so they did.
- There was a time, not so long away, when women were just expected to get married out of high school. Mystic Pizza challenges that ideology as three teenage gal pals come of age in a pizzeria in magical Mystic, Connecticut. All three are involved in complicated romantic relationships and rely on each other to work through them.
6512Is this one of the best?
- Actors: Julia Roberts, Matt Damon, Vincent D'Onofrio, Lili Taylor, Annabeth Gish
- Released: 1988
- Directed by: Donald Petrie
- Tagline: A romantic comedy with the works., Discover a movie which hits home about love, friendship, dreams and life. A movie that you'll be talking about long afterwards. Experience something special, something romantic
- It's not all about what if and whatever. Underneath the designer clothes and the valley girl mentality, Clueless is a movie about what we're willing to do for our friends. Cher really wants to make the world a better place. She needs to give Tai a makeover and set her up with Prince Charming.
5814Is this one of the best?
- Actors: Alicia Silverstone, Brittany Murphy, Paul Rudd, Stacey Dash, Wallace Shawn
- Released: 1995
- Directed by: Amy Heckerling
- Tagline: Sex. Clothes. Popularity. Is there a problem here ?, Sex. Clothes. Popularity... Whatever.
Set in the 1960s South during the Civil Rights movement, The Help (adapted from the novel of the same name) tells the story of how Black maids were treated by the white families they worked for. The glue of the story is the friendship between Aibileen and Minny. Their lives are extremely hard, however, they rely on each other for the strength it takes to make the lives of the people in their community better.
4612Is this one of the best?
- Actors: Emma Stone, Jessica Chastain, Bryce Dallas Howard, Viola Davis, Sissy Spacek
- Released: 2011
- Directed by: Tate Taylor