They all paid the ultimate price. In that defining moment, each of these characters who sacrificed their lives and died for the benefit of others. Some came from the world film, others from television, and a few came from literature. These are the best fictional characters who sacrificed themselves.
Heroic sacrifice in fiction has been around for a long time. The bible tells the story of Jesus Christ, who died on the cross so that his people’s sins could be forgiven. That same narrative is still used today in multi-million-dollar blockbuster movies.
Many of the characters on this list were severely flawed. But when the time came to give up everything, they saw the light and met their redemptive deaths. Others on this list were always heroes, set out to make their world a better place, and always knew that their end would come for a greater purpose. Good or bad, protagonist or villain, they all died a hero's death. (Of course, not every protagonist's demise is heroic. Cinema has given us a handful of dumb heroic sacrifices, as well.)
Make your voice heard. Vote up for your favorite fictional characters who sacrifice themselves.
- 1210100Obi-Wan let Darth Vader kill him in order to drive the Rebel forces to defeat the Dark Side.
- 2272145According to the Bible, Jesus was crucified, died, and was buried for the sins of his people.
- 314864Fell with the Balrog in order to pass the moral test and help his friends.
Darth Vader saved his son Luke from the Emperor and got blasted by lightening.
- 516991Holds the door against the White Walkers, sacrificing himself to save Bran.
- 69839In order to save the town of Rockwell, he took the explosives and flew them into the stratosphere.
- 79341Ran into the poisonous fog so Katniss, Peeta, and Finnick could live.
Spock fixed the Enterprise to allow it to escape but was killed from radiation poisoning.
- 97441The Terminator destroyed himself in order to prevent Judgment Day.
- 107344Harry manually triggered the bomb to save the world even though A.J. drew the short straw.
- 117042Walt got the gangsters to shoot him in front of several witnesses so they would go to jail.
Jack gave his love Rose the entire door to float on so only he would perish in the freezing water.
- 137148Leonidas, with his army of 300 Spartans, fought a battle that they knew they would lose.
- 146038Léon created an escape path for Mathilda and blew up Stansfield and himself with a grenade.
ChuckThe Maze RunnerChuck from The Maze Runner took a bullet for Thomas.
- 164331Blew himself up with the zombies to protect the vaccine.
- 174535Deactivated the jamming signal so his friends could get rescued and drowned in the process.
Pvt. WittThe Thin Red LineDrew gunfire so the rest of his unit had time to escape the Japanese invasion.
CinderEngines of WarIn Engines of War, Cinder was shot saving Doctor Who.
- 204347Ripley threw herself into a fire so the Weyland-Yutani Corporation couldn't use her alien embryo.
- 213437Took her own life rather than get captured and impregnated by Xenomorphs.
- 222629Blew up Skynet Headquarters and himself in order to destroy the deadly research.
- 232629The priest exorcised the demon but afterwards jumped to his death to save the world.
Sydney CartonA Tale of Two Cities, A Tale of Two CitiesSaves the man that Lucie loves from execution by replacing him in his prison cell.
- 253138Restored the golden light and saved the island knowing he would die from electromagnetism.