All across the nation, Greek letter organizations are known for employing some intense hazing procedures. The worst fraternity and sorority hazing rituals can be downright macabre, and lead to some extreme acts. The uptick in Greek hazing stories has pushed most states to pass anti-hazing laws, meant to protect fraternity students from rituals that prove traumatic. Despite hazing being banned in most parts of the US, it still occurs year after year.
People shared their personal experiences of surviving hazing on Reddit, detailing some pretty heinous Greek initiation practices. From uncomfortable intimate acts to cattle-style branding, brace yourself for some weird frat and sorority rituals.
Getting Sent To The Hole
One of the frats at the school I go to... tried to build an in ground hot tub in the basement of one of the senior houses, so they took pick axes and just started to dig into the basement conceret and dirt... Well it didn't work so now they just have the huge hole in the basement of their house.
So they put pledges into the hole, I'm talking like 15 pledges in this crater. I've heard they just get puked on, p*ssed on, alcohol poured on them and then they sleep there.1,920168Is this overly cruel?
Bloody Knuckles And More
1. Laxative run from school to the bus station (approximate 2.2 miles).
2. Knuckle drop push ups onto bottle caps (Drop into push up position with knuckles hitting the bottle caps when landing)
3. Knee drops into bottle caps
4. Rubbing knuckles against brick wall
5. Military Workouts in the ocean at 12 midnight and then run to the local bonfire during breaks.
6. Eating a whole raw onion (not bad in my opinion). We ended up going to the hospital to check up on our knuckles. (my one bro had it so bad that we could almost see his knuckle bone).
7. My buddy was in a fraternity where they had to shave his head bald during hell week.1,699174Is this overly cruel?
Being Thrown Off Bridges
I have seen videos of a rugby society throwing people off a bridge blindfolded onto... nets.1,289222Is this overly cruel?
A New Kind Of "Drunk Tank"
This particular frat takes all of their new pledges to a house off campus where there's a UHAUL truck in the driveway. They put the 4 or 5 pledges in the back with a keg and 4 handles of liquor. Before locking the trailer shut, the actives said something along the lines of "You boys better finish all of this by the time we get where we're going," without ever telling them where they were going or why.
Long story short, after about 2-3 hours of driving the actives stop to check on their fledgling pledges. The keg was tapped, most of the liquor gone, there was apparently an awful lot of p*ss and puke, and a gaggle of very ill, very passed out young fellas.1,038228Is this overly cruel?