List of Full Names of Mononymous People, loosely ranked by fame and popularity. Several celebrities opt to use a stage name rather than their given name in public. This protects at least some of their privacy (and that of their families), and for some, hiding their surnames helps separate professional life from personal life. Some celebrities have chosen names that have additional meanings. Many famous musicians, actors, and comedians use eponymous names. Several famous rappers are known by single names that have dual meanings.
Who is the most famous Eponymous person? Prince tops our list. The “Purple Rain” genius was born Prince Rogers Nelson on June 7, 1958. The word prince also refers to the son of a monarch. During the 90s, Prince changed his name to a symbol in order to protest the negative treatment that he was receiving from his record company. Throughout that time he was known as “the artist formally known as Prince.” Other eponymous people include Pink, Pitbull and Meatloaf.
Many famous rappers are eponymous. Ice-T was born Tracy Marrow on February 16, 1958. Ice tea is also a popular beverage. Ice-T has kept his stage name throughout the various stages of his career. Ice-T has been starring in “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit” since 2000. The Pharcyde rapper Fatlip was born Derrick Stewart on March 26, 1969. The word fatlip also refers to a swollen mouth or lip, typically from a blow or punch.If you were a celebrity would you use a stage name or your given name? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
- Sting was born Gordon Matthew Thomas Sumner on October 2, 1951. The singer's stage name started when he wore a black-and-yellow sweater during a show and friends thought he looked like a bumblebee.
- Profession: Film Score Composer, Record producer, Musician, Singer-songwriter, Actor
- Age: 69
- Birthplace: Wallsend, United Kingdom
- Cher was born Cherilyn Sarkisian on May 20, 1946. The singer and actress had her name legally changed to just the four-letter version.
- Profession: Fashion designer, Record producer, Songwriter, Film Producer, Actor
- Age: 74
- Birthplace: El Centro, California, United States of America
- Bono was born Paul David Hewson on May 10, 1960. Bono comes from a nickname Bono Vox, which comes from bonavox - Latin for "good voice."
- Profession: Activist, Film Score Composer, Businessperson, Guitarist, Songwriter
- Age: 60
- Birthplace: Dublin, Republic of Ireland
- Adele was born Adele Laurie Blue Adkins on May 5, 1988. She went to high school with fellow pop stars Leona Lewis and Jessie J.
- Profession: Arranger, Musician, Singer-songwriter, Actor, Composer
- Age: 32
- Birthplace: Tottenham, London, United Kingdom