Science-fiction movies have a long history of showcasing funny characters. Whether these movies are hilarious unintentionally, or because a movie is self-aware enough to include some sort of comedic relief, science-fiction can sometimes be the perfect genre for when you’re looking for a good laugh.
Which sci-fi character do you think is funniest? William Shatner was one of the first actors to successfully blend sci-fi and comedy in his classic role as James T. Kirk in Star Trek, but Dark Helmet (played by Rick Moranis) may have taken the laughs a step further in Spaceballs. Jeff Goldblum has made meme history with his role as Ian Malcolm in the Jurassic Park series, and Bill Murray has played multiple funny sci-fi characters throughout his career.
Vote up your favorite comedic sci-fi characters to see who tops the list.
- Photo: Michael Li / Flickr
7718Agree or disagree?
- Appears In: Spaceballs
- Photo: user uploaded image
6118Agree or disagree?
- Appears In: Back to the Future
- Photo: user uploaded imageAshley James "Ash" Williams is a fictional character and the protagonist/Exorcist of The Evil Dead franchise. Created by Sam Raimi, he is portrayed by Bruce Campbell and is the only character to appear in each entry of the series except for the remake. Throughout the series, Ash has to face off against his loved ones inside an abandoned cabin as they are possessed by "deadites", the evil souls of the dead. He was named the 24th Greatest Movie Character of All Time and voted the Number #1 Greatest Horror Movie Character by Empire Magazine.... more
5122Agree or disagree?
- Appears In: The Evil Dead, Army of Darkness, Evil Dead II, Evil Dead: The Musical, The Evil Dead Fictional Universe
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Fair useHan Solo is a character in the original trilogy and sequel trilogy of the Star Wars universe. He is portrayed by Harrison Ford. He and his co-pilot, Chewbacca, become involved in the Rebel Alliance which opposes the Galactic Empire. During the course of the Star Wars story, he becomes a chief figure in the Alliance and succeeding galactic governments. Star Wars creator George Lucas described the character as "a loner who realizes the importance of being part of a group and helping for the common good".... more
5022Agree or disagree?
- Appears In: Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, Star Wars Holiday Special, Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, Star Wars