51 Punningly Brilliant Names for Real Life Stores
There's something so special about a good wordplay joke. That special little turn of phrase that you repeat over and over again chuckling to yourself... What better way to advertise without advertising? How better to get someone to remember your store than be having a joke built right into the name? These hilarious, pun-tastic store names will have these companies lodged in your memory.
Rhetoricians referred to them as the (auspiciously titled) paronomasia, playing on the sounds and meaning of words. Linguists called them homophones, different words that are pronounced the very same weigh... err way. We are simply going to call them puns, and they are fantastic.
How do you entice someone into a mom and pop shop nowadays in the world of Black Friday and Cyber Monday? Make a dick joke! How do you distinguish your pet grooming place from the hundreds of others in the city? Make a classic film reference! Make your liquor store sound dirty if you say it out loud and watch the costumers (and the free press) roll in.We've scoured the world (from the safety of... the Internet) for the best puns money can buy. Enjoy the creativity of these shop owners with great senses of humor and go shop there! Help keep these wonderful small businesses afloat by voting below, and with your dollars.
1. Dad Joke: The StorePhoto: Metaweb / CC-BY
2. Tok This WayyyyPhoto: Metaweb / GNU Free Documentation License
3. Damn Dirty GrapesPhoto: Metaweb / CC-BY
4. These Guys Do a Great ServicePhoto: Metaweb / GNU Free Documentation License
5. Why Don't You Just Go...Photo: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BY
6. High Expectations from This PlacePhoto: flickr / CC0