Notable characters from Lys:
Varys, also known to Westeros as "The Spider," serves on the Small Council as the Master of Whispers.
Doreah, once a bedslave turned handmaiden by Daenerys.
Irogenia of Lys, (see below).
Salladhor Saan, a pirate lord and the commander of a large mercenary fleet.
- Lys is one of the Free Cities.- Located across a series of islands in the Summer Sea, it is a small city clinging to the rocks surrounded by stormy seas. It lies off of the southern coast.
- People of Lys are known as Lysene.
- Their coins are oval shaped and have the image of a naked woman stamped on it.
- The people of Lys curl and perfume their hair.
- Lys's navy is one of the most powerful on the Narrow and Summer Seas and their freesails can be found in many ports around the world.
- Slaves are legal and many in Lys.
- Lys is known to have the best pleasure houses in the world full of trained courtesans and prostitutes. One of it's highest export is in bed-slaves.
- Lys are also known for their poisons. A famous poison in particular created in Lys is known as the Tears of Lys and is both rare and difficult to detect.
- Lys was a direct colony of the Valyrian Freehold founded from scratch. Because of this, Lysene still have Valyrian feature which includes bright light-colored eyes, skin and hair. Most of Lysene are fair-skinned.
- Irogenia of Lys was a famous courtesan whose beauty is said to have been the most attractive and the most skilled courtesan to have ever lived. She's a legendary Lysene.
- Lys has been in frequent feuds with the neighboring city, Myr.
- One of the greatest temples of R'hllor stands in Lys. The Lord of Light is the main religion along with the love goddess.