This list contains information about gay celebrities who never came out, loosely ranked by fame and popularity. Many successful Hollywood actors are gay. These days, it's common for celebrities to publicly come out as gay in the media, but that wasn't always the case. Several famous gay celebrities remained in the closet throughout their entire lives.
Who is the most famous gay celebrity who never came out of the closet? Cary Grant tops this list. Though he was married five times to five different women, many people believed that Cary Grant was actually gay. He lived with actor Randolph Scott on and off for over a decade and he was also rumored to have hired male prostitutes.
Despite his flamboyant stage presence, Liberace never officially came out as gay. He even went so far as to sue a publication for libel when they printed that he was gay. Liberace's friend, Betty White, has stated that the musician was, in fact, homosexual. Other secretly closeted movie stars include Rock Hudson, Anthony Perkins, and Robert Reed.Are you surprised that any of these LGBT celebrities never publicly announced their homosexuality or bisexuality? Share your thoughts in the comments section about why famous gays or lesbian celebs might keep their sexuality a secret.
- Though he was married five times to five different women, many people believed that Cary Grant was actually gay. He lived with actor Randolph Scott on and off for over a decade. He was also rumored to have hired male prostitutes.
- Born: 1904-01-18
- Age: Dec. at 82 (1904-1986)
- Birthplace: Horfield, United Kingdom
- Freddie Mercury never publicly spoke about his sexuality, but his friends and family knew that he was gay. He died due to complications from AIDS on November 24, 1991.
- Born: 1946-09-05
- Age: Dec. at 45 (1946-1991)
- Birthplace: Stone Town, Zanzibar City, Tanzania
- Rock Hudson never came out as gay, though many of his friends in Hollywood knew about his lifestyle. He died from complications with AIDS on October 2, 1985.
- Born: 1925-11-17
- Age: Dec. at 60 (1925-1985)
- Birthplace: Winnetka, Illinois, USA
Though those closest to him knew that he was gay, Robert Reed hid his sexuality from the public. He was HIV positive at the time of his death, though he died of colon cancer.Regarding his sexuality, his "Brady Bunch" co-star, Barry Williams, said, "Robert didn't want to go there. I don't think he talked about it with anyone. I just don't think it was a discussion - period."
- Born: 1932-10-19
- Age: Dec. at 60 (1932-1992)
- Birthplace: Highland Park, Illinois, USA