Go go artists list, with photos, ranked best to worst by votes. List includes any good go go band label, album and biographical information when available if you click on the names. This list of the top go go bands in the world includes all musicians who have released recordings that have gotten distribution, and is an up-to-date list. Go go groups and artists are shown below along with any additional genres in which their music belongs. If available, you can also see information about where all go go bands on this list got started. These are truly the greatest go go bands of all time, since the most famous go go artists ever are listed, and the order is decided by actual fans of the best go go music.
You can click on the go go band names to see more information about that particular notable go go group. If they're near the top of the best go go artist list, though, then they should have at least some information available. All the top gogo bands named on the list also have discographies on their pages if you click on the go go band names themselves. Since go-go music originated in Washington DC in the mid 60s-70s, many of the artists who play that subgenre of funk music are from the DC area.
The list you're viewing is made up of many different artists, including Amerie and Wale. You get to decide which artists are the best by voting for your favorites. If you like The Big Hurt or Sy Smith, then make your voice heard.
All important, significant and iconic names in go go music history deserve your votes, so make sure to choose wisely. You can only vote once on this list.
The list includes all new go go bands, and if there are any missing on the list, you can always add them yourself. Just make sure they aren't already on the list and check your spelling, because this is already an accurate compilation of the best examples of go go, as well as a good place to start if you're asking yourself, or friends, exactly how to get into go go music. Especially since the bands at the top of the list will at the very least be the best choices if you're looking for a list of good go go bands with which to start out. No point in listening to them if they aren't actually good or even half-way decent go go bands.
This list answers the questions "who are the best go go bands of all time?" and "who is the greatest go go musician ever?"
If you know enough about the genre, please vote based on the quality of the band's music instead of just voting for the most popular go go bands that you might've heard of, but not really listened to closely enough to cast an informed vote.
- The Junk Yard Band is a go-go band, founded in the early 1980s by children playing on improvised instruments. They are best known for their song, Sardines.... more
- Genres (Music): Go-go
- Albums: Go Hard, Creepin' Thru Da Hoodz, The Word / Sardines
- Photo: WSHH / YouTube6Olubowale Victor Akintimehin (born September 21, 1984), better known by his stage name Wale ( WAW-lay), is an American rapper. He first rose to prominence in 2006, when his song "Dig Dug (Shake It)" became popular in his hometown. Wale became locally recognized and continued recording music for the regional audience. Producer Mark Ronson discovered Wale in 2006 and signed him to Allido Records in 2007. While signed to that label, Wale released several mixtapes and appeared in national media including MTV and various Black-American-focused magazines. A song called "Ridin' in That Black Joint" was featured in the popular video game Saints Row 2's soundtrack in 2008. In 2008, Wale signed with... more
- Genres (Music): Hip hop music, Alternative hip hop, Go-go
- Albums: Ambition, The Gifted, Folarin, 100 Miles & Running, Attention Deficit
- Genres (Music): Ska, Acid jazz, Breakbeat, Reggae, Go-go
- Mambo Sauce is an American go-go band from Washington, D.C. Originally breaking onto the music scene in 2007, their songs "Miracles" and "Welcome to D.C." received airplay on Washington, D.C.'s WPGC-FM radio station. "Welcome to D.C." also made the Billboard charts for hip hop music in January 2008 and the video was played on BET, MTV and VH1. The band's style is described as a blend of go-go, hip hop/soul and alternative music. Their debut album 'The Recipe' was released in 2009 and is available on itunes.... more
- Genres (Music): Go-go