These leading ladies have made audiences laugh, cry and wish that the show would never end. Some have had long-running careers, while others are just starting out, but they all have one thing in common: they’re all the best female performers to have ever graced Broadway stages. For that reason, they all deserve a spot on this list of the greatest female Broadway stars.
These leading ladies have made audiences laugh, cry and wish that the show would never end. Some have had long-running careers, while others are just starting out, but they all have one thing in common: they’re all the best female performers to have ever graced Broadway stages. For that reason, they all deserve a spot on this list of the greatest female Broadway stars.Broadway and music fans everywhere have heard of Barbra Streisand, but did you know she only performed in two shows on Broadway: I Can Get It for You Wholesale and Funny Girl? Of course, her star power was so bright that she was nominated for a Tony Award each time. The year she was nominated for Funny Girl (1964), she lost out to a performer many consider to be one of the top Broadway performers of all time - Carol Channing.
Channing not only won a total of three Tony Awards but also originated two of the most iconic Broadway roles in history: Dolly Levi in Hello, Dolly! and Lorelei Lee in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Because of these stunning performances, Carol Channing is regarded as one of the most amazing Broadway stars in history, alongside greats like Bernadette Peters, Ethel Merman, and Liza Minnelli. Other rising Broadway stars such as Megan Hilty and Lea Michele are joining the ranks of these great Broadway stars, making Broadway more fantastic as time goes on.Whether for their powerful voices or skilled acting, the leading Broadway ladies on this list are known as the greatest female Broadway stars. Cast your votes below for the best female Broadway stars.
- 1,008524Well-known for her portrayal of Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady.
- 356242Originated the role of Lorelei Lee in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.
- 743566Acclaimed for her performance on Broadway in Miss Saigon.
- 359396Earned a Tony nomination for her performance as Mama Rose in Gypsy.
- 347350Debuted on Broadway in Three Sisters.
- 445440Originated the role of Maureen Johnson in Rent.
- 401412Captured a Tony Award for her performance in You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown.
- 317384Well-known for starring in Mame.
- 391464Remembered for her portrayal of Anita in West Side Story.
- 306393Had won three Tony Awards by the age of 28.
- 272328Won a Tony Award for her portrayal of Reno Sweeney in Anything Goes.
- 274386Nominated for a Tony Award after her first Broadway role (in Once Upon a Mattress).
- 205326Debuted many Broadway standards, including "Anything Goes" and "Friendship."
- 238377Won a Tony Award for her performance in Flora the Red Menace.
- 328532Performed in both Funny Girl and I Can Get It for You Wholesale.
- 130268Debuted on Broadway in 1946 in Loco.
- 126311Originated the role of Maria von Trapp in The Sound of Music.
- 3249Debuted on Broadway in 1776 in 1969.
- 127288Played Velma in Chicago.
- 131299Starred in Nice Work If You Can Get It with Matthew Broderick.
Laura OsnesAge: 35