These famous female figure skaters have truly left their mark on the world of figure skating -- whether recently, or during the early days of the sport. The best famous female figure skaters are fan favorites, medal winners, and superior athletes, and each deserve a spot on this list of the greatest figure skaters in history. Many of these girl figure skaters are still active, but others have retired.
Some of the greatest female figures skaters have earned their fame by breaking records. For example, figure skating fans need look no further than Kimmie Meissner. In 2007, Meissner held three champion titles at the U. S. Figure Skating Championships, the World Figure Skating Championships, and the Four Continents Figure Skating Championships. This made her not only the first woman to hold these three titles simultaneously, but also the first American to do so. When ranking the top 10 women ice skaters, you have to include women, like Yuna Kim, Michelle Kwan, and Kristi Yamaguchi.
Other great figure skating ladies are remembered for their artistry and emotion. Fans of figure skating can't forget Ekaterina Gordeeva’s touching performance and tribute to her late husband and partner, Sergei Grinkov. The duo will certainly be remembered for their achievements in pair skating, but Gordeeva showed the world that figure skating is sentimental, as she skated to Mahler’s “Symphony No. 5” in honor of her love.
From medal winners, to record breakers, to the artistically gifted, this list contains all of the greatest female figure skaters in the sport’s history. They may be retired, and some have passed away, but their memories continue to live on in the world of ladies' figure skating.
Be sure to vote for your favorite female figure skaters below. If we've left any off the list, feel free to add them.
2,134805Are they one of the best?
- Age: 30
- Nationality: South Korea
- Birthplace: Bucheon, South Korea
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainSonja Henie is a gold medalist many times over -- one of her many career achievements includes taking the gold at the World Figure Skating Championships for 10 consecutive years.
627302Are they one of the best?
- Age: Dec. at 57 (1912-1969)
- Nationality: Norway
- Birthplace: Oslo, Norway
- Michelle Kwan is tied with Maribel Vinson-Owen for the highest number of U. S. Figure Skating Championships gold medals held -- they both hold nine.
932599Are they one of the best?
- Age: 40
- Nationality: United States of America
- Birthplace: USA, California, Torrance
- Katarina Witt won two silver medals in her Olympic career -- one at the 1984 games in Sarajevo and one at the 1988 games in Calgary.
682440Are they one of the best?
- Age: 55
- Nationality: Germany
- Birthplace: Staaken, Germany