List of famous guitarists born who were born in Turkey, listed alphabetically with photos when available. Many of these guitar players from Turkey are legends in the music world, each with their own innovative styles of play. If you play guitar, whether acoustic or electric, then these famous Turkey guitar players should be people you look up to. These are some of the best guitarists that have ever picked up the instrument, and whether they play rock, blues, metal or folk, these men and women are considered legends.
Joe Strummer and Erkan Oğur are included in this list.This list answers the questions, "What guitar players are from Turkey?" and "Who are famous Turkey guitarists?"
- Photo: Ann Suma / Getty imagesJohn Graham Mellor (21 August 1952 – 22 December 2002), known by his name from May of 1975, Joe Strummer, was a British musician, singer, composer, actor and songwriter who was the co-founder, lyricist, rhythm guitarist and co-lead vocalist of the Clash, a rock band formed in 1976 as part of the original wave of British punk rock. Their second album, Give 'Em Enough Rope (1978) reached number 2 on the UK charts. Soon after, they achieved success in the US, starting with London Calling (1979), and peaking with 1982's Combat Rock, reaching number 7 on the US charts and being certified 2× platinum there. The Clash's explosive political lyrics, eclectic musical experimentation, and rebellious... more
- Nationality: Turkey, United Kingdom, England
- Birthplace: Ankara, Turkey
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainErkan Oğur (pronounced [æɾˈkan oˈuɾ]) in the West (born April 17, 1954) is a Turkish musician. A pioneer of fretless guitars, he invented the first fretless classical guitar in 1976. A composer, he has influenced many musicians with his compositions combining the sounds of Turkish folk music and classical music with the ancient traditional music. He has played many concerts all over the world. He is regarded as a master of the kopuz and bağlama lutes.... more
- Nationality: Turkey
- Birthplace: Eastern Anatolia Region, Turkey, Elâzığ, Elazığ Province, Asia
- Berry Sakharof (Hebrew: ברי סחרוף, [ˈberi saˈxarof]; born 7 July 1957) is an Israeli rock guitarist, songwriter and singer. Sakharof is one of Israel's most popular and critically acclaimed rock musicians, and is often referred to as "the prince of Israeli rock".... more
- Nationality: Israel
- Birthplace: İzmir, Turkey
- Photo: uploaded by BojanglesGilbert Biberian (born 19 February 1944) is a British guitarist and composer. Born in Istanbul, Turkey of Greek-Armenian heritage. Biberian's ethnic roots are integral to his compositions. He studied at Trinity College of Music, graduating in 1968. In 1965 a French Government grant took him to France to study with Ida Presti and Alexandre Lagoya. He studied composition with James Patten, Elisabeth Lutyens and Hans Keller, as well as widening and enriching his musical knowledge by working with non-guitarists Anthony Kinsella (piano) and Vic Bennett (clarinet). Biberian has played at the Proms, at Covent Garden and has performed concertos and given solo recitals worldwide. He has always... more
- Nationality: United Kingdom, Armenia
- Birthplace: Marmara Region, Istanbul, Turkey, Istanbul Province, Greater Istanbul