Hans Poelzig Architecture

List of Hans Poelzig buildings, listed alphabetically with photos when available. Most, if not all prominent Hans Poelzig architecture appears on this list, including houses, churches and other structures where applicable. This list contains information like what city the structure can be found in, and when it was first opened to the public. If you want to find out even more about these famous Hans Poelzig buildings you can click on the building names to get additional information.

Examples of buildings on this list: Haus des Rundfunks, IG Farben Building and many more.

This list answers the questions, "What buildings did Hans Poelzig design?" and "What do Hans Poelzig structures look like?"

    • City/Town: Lubań County, Lower Silesian Voivodeship, Poland, Europe
    • Opened: Jan 01 1912
    • Architect: Hans Poelzig
    • Created By: Hans Poelzig
    • Construction Started: 1911
  • The Großes Schauspielhaus was a theatre in Berlin, Germany, often described as an example of expressionist architecture, designed by Hans Poelzig for theatre impresario Max Reinhardt. The structure was originally a market built by architect Friedrich Hitzig, and it retained its external, gabled form. It then became the Zirkus Schumann, a circus arena. It was renovated by Poelzig and reopened in 1919, contained seating for 3500 people. Max Reinhardt wanted to attract a working class audience to the theater. The large size allowed for people who could pay top prices for the best seats to support the low-cost seats in the back of the theater. It was painted red. It was a cavernous, domed space and had no balconies, which contributed to its vastness. The dome and pillars were decorated with maquernas, a honeycombed pendentive ornament, which resembled stalactites. When illuminated, the ceiling's lightbulbs formed patterns of celestial constellations, and the vaulted ceiling took on another concept, the night sky. In the lobby and elsewhere, Poelzig made use of colored lightbulbs to create striking visual backdrops.
    • City/Town: Germany
    • Architect: Hans Poelzig
    • Created By: Hans Poelzig
  • Haus des Rundfunks

    The Haus des Rundfunks, located in the Westend district of Berlin, Germany, is the oldest self-contained broadcasting house in the world. It was designed by Hans Poelzig in 1929 after winning an architectural competition. The building vis-à-vis the Funkturm contains three large broadcasting rooms located in the centre, shielded from street noise by the surrounding office wings. It is now used by the local ARD broadcaster Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg and produces radio programs for the channels radioBerlin, Kulturradio, and Inforadio. The building's broadcasting rooms are occasionally also used to host concerts.
    • City/Town: Berlin, Germany
    • Opened: Jan 01 1930
    • Architect: Hans Poelzig
    • Created By: Hans Poelzig
    • Style: Expressionism, New Objectivity
  • IG Farben Building

    The IG Farben Building or the Poelzig Building was built from 1928 to 1930 as the corporate headquarters of the IG Farben conglomerate in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. It is also known as the Poelzig Ensemble or Poelzig Complex, and previously as the IG Farben Complex, and the General Creighton W. Abrams Building. The building's original design was the subject of a competition which was eventually won by the architect Hans Poelzig. On its completion, the complex was the largest office building in Europe and remained so until the 1950s. The IG Farben Building's six square wings retain a modern, spare elegance, despite its mammoth size. It is also notable for its paternoster elevators. The building was the headquarters for research projects relating to the development of Nazi wartime synthetic oil and rubber, and the production administration of magnesium, lubricating oil, explosives, methanol, and Zyklon B, the cyanide-based pesticide that was later used by the Nazi regime to generate the lethal gas used in concentration camps. After World War II, the IG Farben Building served as the headquarters for the Supreme Allied Command and from 1949 to 1952 the High Commissioner for Germany.
    • City/Town: Frankfurt (Oder), Germany
    • Architect: Hans Poelzig
    • Created By: Hans Poelzig
    • Style: Expressionism
  • Office Building

    • City/Town: Wrocław, Silesia, Lower Silesian Voivodeship, Poland, Europe
    • Opened: Jan 01 1911
    • Architect: Hans Poelzig
    • Created By: Hans Poelzig
  • The Palace of the Soviets was a project to construct an administrative center and a congress hall in Moscow, Russia, near the Kremlin, on the site of the demolished Cathedral of Christ the Saviour. The architectural contest for the Palace of the Soviets was won by Boris Iofan's neoclassical concept, subsequently revised by Iofan, Vladimir Shchuko and Vladimir Gelfreikh into a skyscraper. If built, it would have become the world's tallest structure of its time. Construction started in 1937, and was terminated by the German invasion in 1941. In 1941–1942, its steel frame was disassembled for use in fortifications and bridges. Construction was never resumed. In 1958, the foundations of the Palace were converted into what would become the world's largest open-air swimming pool, the Moskva Pool. The Cathedral was rebuilt in 1995–2000. A nearby subway station, built in 1935 as Palace of the Soviets station, was renamed Kropotkinskaya in 1957.
    • City/Town: Moscow,Russia,Soviet Union,Europe,Asia
    • Architect: Alexey Dushkin,Boris Iofan,Hans Poelzig,Viktor Aleksandrovic Vesnin,Ivan Vladislavovich Zholtovsky
    • Created By: Alexey Dushkin,Boris Iofan,Hans Poelzig,Viktor Aleksandrovic Vesnin,Ivan Vladislavovich Zholtovsky
    • Style: Stalinist architecture