Every year, the White House celebrates Christmas in many merry ways: a tree lighting, storytelling, and even Christmas balls for Congress. Christmas photos from the White House depict all these events and more from over the years, as each president and their family find new ways to celebrate the holiday.
Presidents and first ladies alike entertain visitors in the Blue Room, where a giant Christmas tree usually fills the space with the seasonal cheer one expects. From the staff to the presidential pets, everyone gets in on the Christmas spirit in these White House holiday photos.
1. The Kennedy Family On Christmas Day, 1962Photo: John F Kennedy Library/Stringer / Archive Photos/Getty Images
2. George H.W. Bush Reads To His Grandchildren, 1991Photo: Susan Biddle/Contributor / Hulton Archive/Getty Images
3. Jimmy And Rosalynn Carter Dance At The White House's Christmas Ball, 1978Photo: Bettmann/Contributor / Bettmann/Getty Images
4. Dwight D. Eisenhower And Family Celebrate Christmas, 1960Photo: Ed Clark/Contributor / The LIFE Picture Collection/Getty Images
5. The White House Dogs Pose With Decorations, 1969Photo: Bettmann/Contributor / Bettmann/Getty Images
6. A Christmas Party At The Kennedy White House, 1961Photo: Historical/Contributor / Corbis Historical/Getty Images