Radio talk show host Howard Stern has made a reputation for himself as a "shock jock," a man willing to push boundaries, turn heads, and offend in an effort to get the highest possible ratings. But with the release of his book Howard Stern Comes Again, a collection of his best interviews, Stern has revealed his retrospective and thought-provoking outlook on life as well. Beginning in May 2019, Stern made multiple appearances on late night shows, morning talk shows, podcasts, and news outlets to promote his book; within a multitude of interviews he has looked back at his career, analyzed his own personal failings, and divulged his greatest highlights and his biggest regrets.
Howard Stern's 'Rolling Stone' InterviewPhoto: The Washington Post/The Washington Post / Getty Images
Notable quotes from his interview with Rolling Stone, May 22, 2019:
- "They [his previous books] are snapshots of who I was back then, and I want to take that guy and shake him. I was a selfish prick. I can just see that quote in Rolling Stone, ‘I was a selfish prick.’ But it’s true.”
- "I also have a regret about Robin Williams that haunts me. I was so angry at the world. I love Robin Williams, and yet if he came into my studio, I had to act like I didn’t love him. I’d be, 'F*ck you.'"
- "The most interesting picture of me for my audience would be to really see a fully integrated guy, not this separated off-the-air/on-the-air - because that implies there’s an act going on. But I was afraid to present certain sides of myself."
- "I’m so proud of them. In fact, people would be shocked. My daughters are involved in professions that are so inspiring and give back to society and the work they do. They blow my mind. I’m so f*cking proud of them that it would just be me being a boring parent kvelling over my kids."
Other topics covered include the Me Too era, his personal life, making a new type of show, and moving on from being a workaholic. Read the full interview here.
Howard Stern's 'Late Show' AppearanceVideo: YouTube
Notable quotes from his appearance on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert, May 21, 2019:
- "So the doctor tells me you probably have kidney cancer you have to go in for an operation. As a radio performer... I became really nervous that if I went on the air and revealed this people would start calling me up, and going 'Listen I had a brother who went through this, unfortunately he died. They told him don't worry, its not going to be a big deal,' and people fill your heads with all this misinformation. And I'm a neurotic and I believe anything anyone says."
- "I came on like a bull in a china shop. And it was wrong to do because it didn't lead to anything real - it didn't lead to good conversation."
- "My viciousness had nothing to do with any reality. It was almost like sibling rivalry: everyone in show business was my enemy, and I was going to have every single person listening to me. If you had ratings you were my enemy."
Other topics covered include therapy and his relationship with his father. Watch the full 34-minute interview here.
Howard Stern's Appearance On 'Conan O'Brien Needs A Friend'
Notable quotes from his interview on Conan O'Brien Needs A Friend, May 19, 2019:
- "When I got into radio I felt I was like the verzion of punk-rock. 'F*ck you, f*ck everything I'm going to be unleashed.' The interesting experiment would be, could I just blow you away by letting every dark thing out of my mind. Happy thoughts, sad thoughts, you name it. Don't really analyze it, just say it. And it is such a dangerous act because it's like walking a high wire."
- "I love Robin Williams. The arrogance of me to think Robin Williams can't come in on my show and deliver some sort of interesting funny thing that the audience would stay tuned for The only thing that was any good was me, he doesn't get my audience and I have to just - that just, that just sucks for me."
- "Because of therapy - Because of being in psychotherapy, I got in touch with how much I had to cheer up my mother. I wasn't even aware of this stuff."
Other topics covered include his early comedy days and deliberately courting controversy on the radio. Listen to the full interview here.
Howard Stern's Appearance On 'The View'Video: YouTube
Notable quotes from his appearance on the The View, May 16, 2019:
- "We had a guy on from the Ku Klux Klan who very freely used the 'n'-word and my belief was, 'Hey say it out in the open' - and I didn't say the 'n'-word lets be very clear - and by the way I make no apology for that because I don't like people who live under a rock. I said to the guy, 'Let me hear what you're saying and let's confront it and lets talk about it.'"
- "I am a big proponent of psychotherapy and a good loving relationship... It is possible to change."
- "I think the show is a lot more balanced. I'm not going to say the show isn't crazy and wild but we've also opened it up to new ideas where people - some really fantastic people - are coming in and feel safe enough to be interviewed and get into some real conversation."
Watch the complete interview here.