List of the best Jean Arthur movies, ranked best to worst with movie trailers when available. Jean Arthur's highest grossing movies have received a lot of accolades over the years, earning millions upon millions around the world. The order of these top Jean Arthur movies is decided by how many votes they receive, so only highly rated Jean Arthur movies will be at the top of the list. Jean Arthur has been in a lot of films, so people often debate each other over what the greatest Jean Arthur movie of all time is. If you and a friend are arguing about this then use this list of the most entertaining Jean Arthur films to end the squabble once and for all.
If you think the best Jean Arthur role isn't at the top, then upvote it so it has the chance to become number one. The greatest Jean Arthur performances didn't necessarily come from the best movies, but in most cases they go hand in hand.
List contains films like Diamond Jim and The Canary Murder Case."This list answers the questions, "What are the best Jean Arthur movies?" and "What are the greatest Jean Arthur roles of all time?"
John Ford and Cecil B. DeMille are among those who directed Jean Arthur at one point or another during their careers in the film industry. If Jean Arthur movies are your thing, then check out the greatest movies by Lillian Gish and Eleanor Parker too.
- Leopold Dilg (Cary Grant), who was wrongfully convicted of arson, manages to escape from prison. While on the lam, he finds the home of Nora Shelley (Jean Arthur), an old friend from school for whom ...more
- John P. Merrick, the world's richest man, is annoyed to hear workers at one of his stores are trying to form a union. Getting a menial job, he's determined to root out the troublemakers, but soon ...more
- Longfellow Deeds (Gary Cooper), a resident of small-town Vermont, leads a simple life until he inherits a vast fortune from a late uncle. Soon, unscrupulous lawyer John Cedar (Douglas Dumbrille) ...more
- When the idealistic young Jefferson Smith (James Stewart) winds up appointed to the United States Senate, he gains the mentorship of Senator Joseph Paine (Claude Rains). However, Paine isn't as noble ...more
- Enigmatic gunslinger Shane (Alan Ladd) rides into a small Wyoming town with hopes of quietly settling down as a farmhand. Taking a job on homesteader Joe Starrett's (Van Heflin) farm, Shane is drawn ...more
- A Foreign Affair is a 1948 American romantic comedy film directed by Billy Wilder and starring Jean Arthur, Marlene Dietrich, and John Lund. The screenplay by Wilder, Charles Brackett, and Richard L. ...more
- You Can't Take It With You is a 1938 American romantic comedy film directed by Frank Capra and starring Jean Arthur, Lionel Barrymore, James Stewart, and Edward Arnold. Adapted from the Pulitzer ...more
- Due to a housing shortage in Washington, D.C., during World War II, Connie Milligan (Jean Arthur) agrees to rent part of her apartment to wealthy retiree Benjamin Dingle (Charles Coburn) and soldier ...more
- Heir to a dairy farm in a small farming community, Matthew Putnam (Victor Jory) returns home to care for his ailing aunt and is surprised to see how childhood friend Marge Oliver (Jean Arthur) has ...more
- During the Great Depression, a discarded fur coat lands on the head of stenographer Mary Smith (Jean Arthur), triggering a life-altering chain of events. Obscenely wealthy banker J. B. Ball (Edward ...more
- Clerk Arthur Jones (Edward G. Robinson) lives a dull life until someone realizes that he looks like gangster "Killer" Mannion (also Robinson). After Jones is brought in by the police and his identity ...more
- Rough and tough Geoff Carter (Cary Grant) runs a tiny airline that cannot afford to miss any flights, despite the dangers along many of the routes. When Bonnie Lee (Jean Arthur), a performer who is ...more
- When his wife, Irene (Jean Arthur), plans to divorce him, wealthy and cruel businessman Bruce Vail (Colin Clive) sends his chauffeur to her Paris hotel room so he can catch her in a "compromising" ...more
- In this Western from renowned director Cecil B. DeMille, Wild Bill Hickok (Gary Cooper) is caught in the midst of a battle between Indians and General Custer's troops. Having secured the release of ...more
- To escape the attentions of a trio of eager bachelors, nubile Manhattanite Molly Truesdale (Jean Arthur) leaves for a bus tour of the American West led by eccentric guide Smiley Lambert (Phil ...more
- When Bill Cardew (Fred MacMurray) goes missing, his ship lost at sea, his wife, Vicky (Jean Arthur), assumes he is dead. A year later, she is married to Bill's old business partner, Henry Lowndes ...more
- Newlywed Buck (Jack Holt) is jailed for manslaughter. Wanting what's best for his wife, who is carrying his child, Buck reluctantly tries to divorce her. When she refuses, Buck sends her a phony ...more
- Phoebe Titus (Jean Arthur) is a tough-as-nails pioneer with dreams of starting a freight service in Tuscon, Ariz. Peter Muncie (William Holden), a vagabond passing through Arizona en route to ...more
- Frustrated by his board of directors' refusal to approve a radical new design, car company executive Jim (Herbert Marshall) strikes up a conversation with homeless Joan (Jean Arthur) in a park. When ...more
- With his knowledge of psychology and criminal behavior, reporter George Melville (Joel McCrea) is able to accurately anticipate specific crimes, incurring the jealousy of his fellow journalists. ...more
- Dr. Lawrence "Brad" Bradford (William Powell) and his ex-wife, Paula (Jean Arthur), are still in love in spite of their divorce. Paula's obsession with murder mysteries remains a wedge between them, ...more
- A venal New York gambling boss, "Natural" Davis (William Powell), instructs his younger brother Babe (Regis Toomey), who has just come to town from California, not to follow in his footsteps despite ...more
- The Canary Murder Case is a crime/mystery film made by Paramount Pictures, directed by Malcolm St. Clair and Frank Tuttle. The screenplay was written by Willard Huntington Wright, Albert S. Le Vino, ...more
- Stairs of Sand is a 1929 silent film made by Paramount Pictures, directed by Otto Brower, and written by Agnes Brand Leahy, Sam Mintz and J. Walter Ruben, based on novel by Zane Grey.
- The Saturday Night Kid is an early talking romantic comedy film about two sisters and the man they both want. It stars Clara Bow, Jean Arthur, James Hall, and in her first credited role, Jean Harlow. ...more