List of the best Joanne Woodward movies, ranked best to worst with movie trailers when available. Joanne Woodward's highest grossing movies have received a lot of accolades over the years, earning millions upon millions around the world. The order of these top Joanne Woodward movies is decided by how many votes they receive, so only highly rated Joanne Woodward movies will be at the top of the list. Joanne Woodward has been in a lot of films, so people often debate each other over what the greatest Joanne Woodward movie of all time is. If you and a friend are arguing about this then use this list of the most entertaining Joanne Woodward films to end the squabble once and for all.
If you think the best Joanne Woodward role isn't at the top, then upvote it so it has the chance to become number one. The greatest Joanne Woodward performances didn't necessarily come from the best movies, but in most cases they go hand in hand.
Harry & Son and Mr. & Mrs. Bridge are a great starting point for your to rank your favorites on this list"This list answers the questions, "What are the best Joanne Woodward movies?" and "What are the greatest Joanne Woodward roles of all time?"
- Written off as a spinster, 35-year-old schoolteacher Rachel Cameron (Joanne Woodward) lives with her widowed mother above a funeral parlor in rural Connecticut. Repressed by the community and given ...more
- Suffering from headaches and inexplicable blackouts, timid housewife Eve White (Joanne Woodward) begins seeing a psychiatrist, Dr. Luther (Lee J. Cobb). He's stunned when she transforms before his ...more
- For the 1937 Tennessee Williams play, see Fugitive Kind.The Fugitive Kind is a 1960 American drama film starring Marlon Brando and Anna Magnani, and directed by Sidney Lumet. The screenplay by Meade ...more
- Handsome vagabond Ben Quick (Paul Newman) returns to the Mississippi town his late father called home, but rumors of his dad's pyromaniac tendencies follow him as soon as he sets foot there. The ...more
- This tale of child abuse and and its deep psychological scars, based on a true story, follows Sybil (Sally Field), an introverted student living alone in New York City who suffers from multiple ...more
- Widow Beatrice Hunsdorfer (Joanne Woodward) likes to say she's planning to open an upscale tea room, but in reality she's incapable of handling even the most pedestrian of life's responsibilities. A ...more
- A rich Midwestern lawyer (Paul Newman), his wife (Joanne Woodward) and their children grow apart in the World War II era.
- The once-prominent Compson family of Jefferson, Miss., has been reduced to near-penury by generations of alcoholism and sin. Levelheaded Jason (Yul Brynner) struggles to keep the family together, but ...more
- Despite being far from home, American jazz musicians Ram Bowen (Paul Newman) and Eddie Cook (Sidney Poitier) are content living and working in Paris. Ram knows it's the best place for him to develop ...more
- Middle-aged, middle-class New Yorker Rita Walden (Joanne Woodward), already prone to depression and nightmares, is thrown into an emotional tailspin by the sudden death of her mother (Sylvia Sidney). ...more
- Tom Wingfield looks back on his relationship with his mother, Amanda, and sister, Laura, all of whom were abandoned by patriarch Mr. Wingfield 16 years earlier. Tom chafes at his dead-end job, while ...more
- Alfred Eaton (Paul Newman) returns home after World War II, driven to be as successful as possible out of hatred toward his wealthy father (Leon Ames). He is unendingly ambitious: founding an ...more
- Amoral Bud Corliss (Robert Wagner) pursues young heiress Dorie Kingship (Joanne Woodward) in the hopes of getting his hands on the fortune amassed by her father (George Macready). But after Dorie ...more
- Race car driver Frank Capua (Paul Newman) holds track victories above all else, but as he competes in the string of races that lead to motoring's crown jewel, the Indianapolis 500, he finds it harder ...more
- Philadelphia is a 1993 American drama film and one of the first mainstream Hollywood films to acknowledge HIV/AIDS, homosexuality, and homophobia. It was written by Ron Nyswaner, directed by Jonathan ...more
- After the death of his wife, wealthy retiree Justin Playfair (George C. Scott) creates a fantasy world for himself in which he is the legendary detective Sherlock Holmes, even dressing like the ...more
- The Drowning Pool is a 1975 American thriller film directed by Stuart Rosenberg, and based upon Ross Macdonald's novel The Drowning Pool. The film stars Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, and Anthony ...more
- When a yearly high-stakes poker game begins between the five richest men in Laredo, Texas, all other activity in the Wild West town comes to a stop as everyone gathers to watch the action. Recovering ...more
- Wealthy lawyer Newland Archer (Daniel Day-Lewis) is engaged to sweet socialite May Welland (Winona Ryder) in 1870s New York. On the surface, it is a perfect match. But when May's beautiful cousin ...more
- Rally Round the Flag, Boys! is a 1958 film adaptation of the novel of the same name by Max Shulman, directed by Leo McCarey, starring Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward, and released by 20th Century ...more
- Unassuming yet determined teacher Elizabeth Huckaby (Joanne Woodward) is caught in the middle of one of America's defining moments in the 20th century -- the racial integration of schools. Arkansas' ...more
- After fighting for the Union during the Civil War, Luke Fargo (Van Heflin) is greeted with resentment when he returns home to his small southern town. Luke has a reputation as a rogue, but he's ...more
- Stuck in a dead-end job in a dead-end Kansas town, Lila Green (Joanne Woodward) is at the end of her rope. After she loses her job as a local magician's stage assistant, Lila moves in with neighbor ...more
- WUSA is a 1970 American drama film, directed by Stuart Rosenberg. It was written by Robert Stone, based on his novel A Hall of Mirrors. The story involves a radio station in New Orleans with the ...more
- A Fine Madness is a motion picture comedy based on the 1964 novel by Elliott Baker that tells the story of Samson Shillitoe, a frustrated poet unable to finish a grand tome. It stars Sean Connery, ...more