The last words spoken by criminals before execution stand as the final statements from these convicted offenders, having been uttered moments before their deaths. Much like the statements made by famous people in their suicide notes, these are the famous last words before execution that others will remember these souls by for eternity. There are funny, crazy, and of course, sad death row inmates last words.
Many of these convicted criminals acted similarly in their famous last quotes as they did in life. Some joked around with the press and other bystanders, others proclaimed their innocence for the hundredth time, and certain individuals added standard goodbyes as they told their mothers they loved them. It's hard to debate the funniest last words, since the entire exercise is morbid. However, when it comes to famous last words of executed criminals, those of Aileen Wuornos were certainly memorable. Other death row last words, like those of Thomas J. Grasso, were to complain about their final meal, or their treatment in the prisons.
Whatever the words used, and whatever the manner of execution, these famous last words spoken by criminals remain as the final memories of these offenders.
Torrey Twane McNabb
"Mom, sis, look at my eyes. I got no tears. I am unafraid. To the state of Alabama, I hate you... I hate you. I hate you."
- Executed by lethal injection for the 1997 shooting death of a Montgomery police officer. McNabb's attorneys had attempted to get a stay of execution on the grounds that lethal injection is cruel and unusual.
"Good people are always so sure they're right."
- Executed by gas chamber after she was found guilty of murdering an elderly woman in a botched robbery.
"Take a step forward, lads. It will be easier that way."
- Executed by firing squad after being found guilty of illegally possessing a semi-automatic pistol.
"You are going to hurt me, please don't hurt me, just one more moment, I beg you!"
- Guillotined after being convicted of treason by the Revolutionary Tribunal of Paris. She was suspected of financially aiding people who fled the French Revolution.
"How about this for a headline for tomorrow's paper? French fries."
- Executed after he was found guilty of murdering a fellow inmate in prison. Allegedly, French was serving a life sentence, and he wanted to die.
Francis 'Two Gun' Crowley
"You sons of bitches. Give my love to Mother."
- Executed after being found guilty of murder.
Thomas J. Grasso
"I did not get my SpaghettiOs, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this."
- Executed by injection after being found guilty of multiple murders.
"Hurrah for anarchy! This is the happiest moment of my life."
- Last words on the gallows after he was found guilty of conspiracy. He was thought to have been involved in the deadly bombing of the McCormick Plant in Chicago in 1886.
"I’d just like to say I’m sailing with the Rock and I’ll be back like ‘Independence Day’ with Jesus, June 6, like the movie, big mother ship and all. I’ll be back.”
- Executed by lethal injection in 2002 for murdering multiple men. Charlize Theron won an Oscar in 2003 for playing Wuornos in a movie about the serial killer's life.
"There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is God's messenger."
- Executed by hanging after being found guilty of crimes against humanity.
"I am going to be face to face with Jesus now... I love you all very much. I will see you all when you get there... I will wait for you."
"I'd like to thank my family for loving me and taking care of me. And the rest of the world can kiss my ass."
- Executed by injection after being found guilty of raping and murdering a 76-year-old nun in 1981.
Grover Cleveland Redding
“I have something to say, but not at this time.”
- Executed by hanging in 1921 for causing the death of two people. Redding claimed he was was the prince of Abyssinia and thought it was his destiny to bring people back to their homeland. During an anti-government riot he incited, two of his followers were killed.
"I would like to apologize to the victim’s family for all of the pain I have caused them. I would like to tell my family I love them and I hope to see them again soon. Lord Jesus, thank you for giving me the strength and the time in my life to find Jesus Christ and to be forgiven for all of my sins. Thank you for the changes in my life you have given me, the love and closeness of my family, and my beautiful daughter. Thank you for using me."
“I am no more a witch than you are a wizard, and if you take away my life, God will give you blood to drink.”
- One of the most famous women executed for witchcraft in Salem, Massachusetts.
"I'd rather be fishing."
- Executed by electric chair for killing two people while he was on the run in 1982.
"Let's do it."
- Executed by firing squad after he demanded the death sentence for murder.
"They butchered me back there, I was in a lot of pain. They cut me in the groin; they cut me in the leg. I was bleeding profusely. This is not an execution, it is murder."
- Executed after he was convicted of three murders.
"Remember, the death penalty is murder."
- Executed by injection after stabbing a man to death in 1983.
“I don’t know as I’ve got anything to say; I am going to be hanged, and don’t want to make a stump speech.”
- Executed by hanging in 1866 for the murder of a man that owed him $42.