culture Things You Don't Know About Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs  

Phil Gibbons
13.7k views 12 items Embed

Outlaw motorcycle gangs have frequently been the subject of mass media and journalistic scrutiny. Sons Of Anarchy is merely the latest examination of a subject that was first discussed in 1966 in the groundbreaking Hunter S. Thompson bestseller, Hells Angels: The Strange And Terrible Saga Of the Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs

How motorcycle gangs work and what it's like to be in a motorcycle gang are both mysterious subjects often glamorized and glorified by movie versions of rebels on the open road. But a day in the life of a motorcycle gang member can be boring, criminal, dangerous, or, sometimes, even lethal. Here are some surprising facts about the world of outlaw motorcycle gangs.

Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs Are A Global Nuisance


Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs Are A ... is listed (or ranked) 1 on the list Things You Don't Know About Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs
Photo: Peter Burge/Wikimedia Commons

Outlaw motorcycle gangs are not limited to the US. They operate internationally, on all five populated continents. The Hells Angels have chapters in Tokyo, Rio De Janeiro, Zurich, and even Auckland, New Zealand. The Hells Angels and Outlaws have openly feuded in Great Britain with members of both groups inflicting assaults and even death during the ongoing feud.

The Australian government even stripped the citizenship of the leader of the Rebels gang while he was out of the country. Australia has also coordinated efforts to oust or incarcerate members of the Hells Angels, Mongols, and Rebels who have consistently engaged in criminal behavior involving violence and racketeering. 

The Hells Angels Regularly Sue For Copyright Infringement, Including The Disney Corporation


The Hells Angels Regularly Sue... is listed (or ranked) 2 on the list Things You Don't Know About Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs
Photo:  Buena Vista Pictures/Walt Disney Studios

The Hells Angels have grown into a sophisticated business organization that zealously guards its symbols and trademarks. The organization has pursued trademark infringement litigation against such entities as Toys"R"Us, Amazon, Saks, and Marvel Comics. Typically, cases are settled with a recall of products, cessation of manufacture of infringing items, and occasionally damages which are usually donated to charity.

The Hells Angels have even sued the Disney Corporation over the film Wild Hogs, a movie starring John Travolta, Tim Allen, William H. Macy, and Martin Lawrence. The suit was dismissed when Disney eventually agreed to delete any infringing material.

Anyone Can Purchase Outlaw Biker Gang Merchandise


Anyone Can Purchase Outlaw Bik... is listed (or ranked) 3 on the list Things You Don't Know About Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs
Photo:  Hells Angels

The sophistication with which the Hells Angels market their image, symbols, trademarks, and merchandise has evolved into a highly sophisticated process that even involves a detailed and extensive website. The public can purchase items of clothing, interact with other Hells Angels websites around the world, browse photos and videos, and even locate Hells Angels businesses through an extensive international directory. The Mongols, Outlaws and most other criminal motorcycle gangs have also produced websites with similar information and merchandising.

Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs Are Known As One Percenters


Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs Are Kn... is listed (or ranked) 4 on the list Things You Don't Know About Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs
Photo:  ebay/Pinterest

Outlaw motorcycle gangs like the Hells Angels, Bandidos and Mongols are known as one percenters, as opposed to the other 99% of organized motorcyclists who are just members of biker clubs with no criminal intent. This expression stems from a specific incident in July, 1947, in Hollister, California, in which 4,000 attendees at a motorcycle rally rioted, prompting the sponsors, the American Motorcycle Association, to state that 99% of the motorcycle riding public were good citizens. Members of some of the outlaw motorcycle clubs of the time publicly stated that they were the other 1%, an identity that they flaunted with pride.