List of famous cartographers, with photos, bios, and other information when available. Who are the top cartographers in the world? This includes the most prominent cartographers, living and dead, both in America and abroad. This list of notable cartographers is ordered by their level of prominence, and can be sorted for various bits of information, such as where these historic cartographers were born and what their nationality is. The people on this list are from different countries, but what they all have in common is that they're all renowned cartographers.
This list features famous map makers like Johannes Werner and Arthur H. Robinson.From reputable, prominent, and well known cartographers to the lesser known cartographers of today, these are some of the best professionals in the cartographer field. If you want to answer the questions, "Who are the most famous cartographers ever?" and "What are the names of famous cartographers?" then you're in the right place.
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainClaudius Ptolemy (; Koinē Greek: Κλαύδιος Πτολεμαῖος, Klaúdios Ptolemaîos [kláwdios ptolɛmɛ́os]; Latin: Claudius Ptolemaeus; c. AD 100 – c. 170) was a mathematician, astronomer, geographer and astrologer. He lived in the city of Alexandria in the Roman province of Egypt, under the rule of the Roman Empire, had a Latin name, which several historians have taken to imply he was also a Roman citizen, cited Greek philosophers, and used Babylonian observations and Babylonian lunar theory. The 14th-century astronomer Theodore Meliteniotes gave his birthplace as the prominent Greek city Ptolemais Hermiou (Greek: Πτολεμαΐς ‘Ερμείου) in the Thebaid (Greek: Θηβαΐδα [Θηβαΐς]). This attestation is... more on Wikipedia
- Birthplace: Alexandria, Egypt
- Photo: uploaded by Q047Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci was an Italian polymath, painter, sculptor, architect, musician, mathematician, engineer, inventor, anatomist, geologist, cartographer, botanist, and writer. He is widely considered to be one of the greatest painters of all time and perhaps the most diversely talented person ever to have lived. His genius, perhaps more than that of any other figure, epitomized the Renaissance humanist ideal. Leonardo has often been described as the archetype of the Renaissance Man, a man of "unquenchable curiosity" and "feverishly inventive imagination". According to art historian Helen Gardner, the scope and depth of his interests were without precedent and "his mind and... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 67 (1452-1519)
- Birthplace: Vinci, Italy
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainAmerigo Vespucci (; Italian: [ameˈriːɡo veˈsputtʃi]; March 9, 1454 – February 22, 1512) was an Italian explorer, financier, navigator, and cartographer who was born in the Republic of Florence. Sailing for Portugal around 1501–1502, Vespucci demonstrated that Brazil and the West Indies were not Asia's eastern outskirts (as initially conjectured from Columbus' voyages) but a separate, unexplored land mass colloquially known as the New World. In 1507, the new continent was named America after the Latin version of Vespucci's first name.Vespucci became a citizen of the Crown of Castile and died in Seville (1512).... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 58 (1454-1512)
- Birthplace: Florence, Italy
- Photo: Wiki Commons / Public DomainSu Song was a renowned Han Chinese polymath who was described as a scientist, mathematician, statesman, astronomer, cartographer, horologist, medical doctor, pharmacologist, mineralogist, zoologist, botanist, mechanical and architectural engineer, poet, antiquarian, and ambassador of the Song Dynasty. Su Song was the engineer of a hydro-mechanical astronomical clock tower in medieval Kaifeng, which employed the use of an early escapement mechanism. The escapement mechanism of Su's clock tower had been invented by Buddhist monk Yi Xing and government official Liang Lingzan in 725 AD to operate a water-powered armillary sphere, although Su's armillary sphere was the first to be provided with... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 81 (1020-1101)
- Birthplace: Quanzhou, China