List of Famous Food Critics
This list of famous food critics and famous food writers includes photos, bios, and other information, when available. Who are the top food critics in the world? This includes the most prominent food critics, living and dead, both in America and abroad. You might also enjoy our list of famous wine critics and the most epic Yelp reviews. This list of notable food critics is ordered by their level of prominence, and can be sorted for various bits of information, such as where these historic food critics were born and what their nationality is. The people on this list are from various different countries, but what they all have in common is that they're all renowned food critics, writing about food and cooking, publishing widely-read food critiques, and keeping chefs on their toes.
The list you're viewing is made up of a variety of different people, including Frank Bruni, Katie Lee, and of course New York's own Anthony Bourdain. Everyone from the top American, British, and English food writers are listed here. When chefs and restaurant owners see these popular critics walk through their doors, they know they need to bring their A-games and serve only the best foods.From reputable, prominent, and well known food critics to the lesser known food reviewers of today, these are some of the best writers of food criticism in the world. Who are the most famous food critics ever? What are the names of famous food critics? Read on to find out!
- Photo: Rob Kim / Getty Images EntertainmentFrank Anthony Bruni (born October 31, 1964) is an American journalist and long-time writer for The New York Times. In June 2011, he was named an op-ed columnist for the newspaper. His columns appear twice weekly and he also writes a weekly newsletter. One of his many previous posts for the newspaper was as its chief restaurant critic, from 2004 to 2009. He is the author of three bestselling books: Born Round, a memoir about his family's love of food and his own struggles with overeating; Where You Go Is Not Who You'll Be, about the college admissions mania; and Ambling Into History, about George W. Bush. He is currently a CNN contributor.
- Age: 58
- Birthplace: USA, White Plains, New York
- Photo: Slaven Vlasic / Getty Images EntertainmentKatherine "Katie" Lee (born September 14, 1981) is an American cookbook author, television food critic, and novelist.
- Age: 41
- Birthplace: Huntington, West Virginia, USA
- Andrew Scott Zimmern (born July 4, 1961) is an American culinary expert, chef, restaurateur, television personality, radio personality, director, producer, entrepreneur, food critic, journalist, teacher, and author. Considered one of the most influential celebrity chefs in the world, Zimmern is known for being the co-creator, host, and consulting producer of the Travel Channel television series Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern, Bizarre Foods America, Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre World, Dining with Death, The Zimmern List, Andrew Zimmern's Driven by Food, and Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations, as well as the Food Network series The Big Food Truck Tip. For his work on Bizarre Foods with ...more
- Age: 61
- Birthplace: New York, New York, USA
- Photo: Helga Esteb / ShutterstockAnthony Michael Bourdain (; June 25, 1956 – June 8, 2018) was an American celebrity chef, author, and travel documentarian who starred in programs focusing on the exploration of international culture, cuisine, and the human condition. Bourdain was a 1978 graduate of The Culinary Institute of America and a veteran of a number of professional kitchens in his long career, which included many years spent as executive chef at Brasserie Les Halles in Manhattan. He first became known for his bestselling book Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly (2000). His first food and world-travel television show, A Cook's Tour, ran for 35 episodes on the Food Network in 2002 and 2003. In ...more
- Age: Dec. at 61 (1956-2018)
- Birthplace: New York City, New York, USA
- Photo: Neilson Barnard / Getty Image EntertainmentRuth Reichl (born January 16, 1948) (pronounced RYE-shil), is an American chef, food writer, co-producer of PBS's Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie, culinary editor for the Modern Library, host of PBS's Gourmet's Adventures With Ruth, and the last editor-in-chief of the now shuttered Gourmet magazine. She has written critically acclaimed, best-selling memoirs: Tender at the Bone: Growing Up at the Table, Comfort Me with Apples: More Adventures at the Table, Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise and Not Becoming My Mother. In 2009, she published Gourmet Today a 1,008 page cookbook containing over 1,000 recipes. She published her first novel, Delicious! in 2014, and, in ...more
- Age: 75
- Birthplace: New York, New York, USA
- Jonathan Gold (July 28, 1960 – July 21, 2018) was an American food and music critic. He wrote for the Los Angeles Times and had previously written for LA Weekly and Gourmet, as well as being a regular on KCRW's Good Food radio program. Gold often chose small, traditional immigrant restaurants for his reviews, although he covered all types of cuisine. In 2007, he became the first food critic to win the Pulitzer Prize for Criticism.
- Birthplace: Los Angeles, California