List of famous music critics, with photos, bios, and other information when available. Who are the top music critics in the world? This includes the most prominent music critics, living and dead, both in America and abroad. This list of notable music critics is ordered by their level of prominence, and can be sorted for various bits of information, such as where these historic music critics were born and what their nationality is. The people on this list are from different countries, but what they all have in common is that they're all renowned music critics.
Items here include everything from Lester Bangs to Hector Berlioz.From reputable, prominent, and well known music critics to the lesser known music critics of today, these are some of the best professionals in the music critic field. If you want to answer the questions, "Who are the most famous music critics ever?" and "What are the names of famous music critics?" then you're in the right place.
- (Achille) Claude Debussy (French: [aʃil klod dəbysi]; 22 August 1862 – 25 March 1918) was a... more
- Robert Schumann (German: [ˈʃuːman]; 8 June 1810 – 29 July 1856) was a German composer,... more
- Richard Wagner is a film score composer.
- Patrick Martin Stumph (born April 27, 1984), known professionally as Patrick Vaughn Stump, is... more
- Louis-Hector Berlioz (, French: [ɛktɔʁ bɛʁljoz]; 11 December 1803 – 8 March 1869) was a French... more
- César Antonovich Cui (Russian: Цезарь Антонович Кюи, Tsesar Antonovich Kyui; French: Cesarius... more
- Robert Thomas Christgau (; born April 18, 1942) is an American essayist and music journalist.... more
- Paul Hindemith (; 16 November 1895 – 28 December 1963) was a prolific German composer,... more
- David Hajdu (; born 1955) is an American columnist, author and professor at Columbia... more
- George Michael Sinclair Kennedy CBE (19 February 1926 – 31 December 2014) was an English... more
- Hyman Howard Taubman was an American music critic, theater critic, and author.
- Leslie Conway "Lester" Bangs (December 14, 1948 – April 30, 1982) was an American music... more
- Paul Abraham Dukas (French: [dykas]; 1 October 1865 – 17 May 1935) was a French composer,... more
- Gustav Kobbé (4 March 1857 - 27 July 1918) was an American music critic and author, best known... more
- Ernst Theodor Amadeus Hoffmann (commonly abbreviated as E. T. A. Hoffmann; born Ernst Theodor... more
- Roger Huntington Sessions (December 28, 1896 – March 16, 1985) was an American composer,... more
- Theodor W. Adorno (; German: [ʔaˈdɔɐ̯no]; born Theodor Ludwig Wiesengrund; September 11, 1903... more
- Nicolas Slonimsky (April 27 [O.S. April 15] 1894 – December 25, 1995), born Nikolai... more
- Georges Auric (French: [ɔʁik]; 15 February 1899 – 23 July 1983) was a French composer, born in... more
- Nelson George (born September 1, 1957) is an American author, columnist, music and culture... more
- Vasily Petrovich Botkin was a Russian essayist, literary, art and music critic, translator and... more
- Richard Morrison is an English music critic. As the chief music critic of The Times, he writes... more
- Herbert Eimert (8 April 1897 – 15 December 1972) was a German music theorist, musicologist,... more
- Charles-Marie Jean Albert Widor (21 February 1844 – 12 March 1937) was a French organist,... more