List of Louis Sullivan Architecture

List of Louis Sullivan buildings, listed alphabetically with photos when available. Most, if not all prominent Louis Sullivan architecture appears on this list, including houses, churches and other structures where applicable. This list contains information like what city the structure can be found in, and when it was first opened to the public. If you want to find out even more about these famous Louis Sullivan buildings you can click on the building names to get additional information.

Buildings here include everything from Art Institute of Chicago Building to Bayard-Condict Building.

This list answers the questions, "What buildings did Louis Sullivan design?" and "What do Louis Sullivan structures look like?"

  • The Ann Halsted House is a house located at 440 W. Belden Street in the Lincoln Park community area of Chicago, Illinois. Designed in 1883 and built by 1884, the house is the oldest surviving residence designed by Dankmar Adler and Louis Sullivan. The brick house is designed in the Queen Anne style, which can be seen in its pointed bay windows and the detailed brickwork on the cornices and chimneys on the sides of the house; however, the front of the home reflects a French influence. Sullivan's influence on the home's exterior can mainly be seen in the dormers at the front and back and in the pediments on the sides. The fireplace and railings inside the house are also Queen Anne style, ...more
    • City/Town: Chicago, Illinois, USA
    • Architect: Louis Sullivan
    • Created By: Louis Sullivan
    • Style: Queen Anne Style architecture (Great Britain & Australia)
  • Anshe Ma'ariv Synagogue

    • Opened: Jan 01 1891
    • Created By: Louis Sullivan
    • Construction Started: 1890
  • The Art Institute of Chicago Building houses the Art Institute of Chicago, and is located in the Chicago Landmark Historic Michigan Boulevard District in the Loop community area of Chicago, Illinois. The building is also located in Grant Park on the east side of Michigan Avenue, and marks the third address for the Art Institute. The building was built for the joint purpose of accommodating the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition and subsequently the Art Institute. The core of the current complex, located opposite Adams Street, officially opened to the public on December 8, 1893, and was renamed the Allerton Building in 1968. There have been numerous building additions over the years. The most ...more
    • City/Town: Grant Park, Chicago, Illinois, USA
    • Opened: Jan 01 1893
    • Created By: Renzo Piano, Louis Sullivan
    • Style: Beaux-Arts architecture
    • Building Function: Art museum
  • The Bayard–Condict Building at 65 Bleecker Street between Broadway and Lafayette Street, at the head of Crosby Street in the NoHo neighbourhood of Manhattan, New York City is the only work of architect Louis Sullivan in New York City. It was built between 1897 and 1899 in the Chicago School style; the associate architect was Lyndon P. Smith. The building was originally known as the Condict Building before being renamed the Bayard Building. The building was considered to be a radical design for its time, since it contravened the strictures of American Renaissance architecture which were the accepted status quo, but had little influence on architectural design in New York City, because of its ...more
    • City/Town: NoHo, Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA
    • Opened: Jan 01 1899
    • Created By: Louis Sullivan
    • Style: Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements, Chicago school
  • Getty Tomb

    The Carrie Eliza Getty Tomb, located in Graceland Cemetery in Chicago, Illinois, United States, was commissioned in 1890 by the lumber baron, Henry Harrison Getty, for his wife, Carrie Eliza. It was designed by the noted American architect, Louis Sullivan of the firm Adler & Sullivan. Getty became familiar with Sullivan's work from the architect's various Loop projects as well as from the mausoleum Sullivan designed for Getty's late partner, Martin Ryerson.
    • City/Town: Chicago, Illinois, USA
  • The Sullivan Center, formerly known as the Carson, Pirie, Scott and Company Building or Carson, Pirie, Scott and Company Store, is a commercial building at 1 South State Street at the corner of East Madison Street in Chicago, Illinois. It was designed by Louis Sullivan for the retail firm Schlesinger & Mayer in 1899, and expanded by him and subsequently sold to H.G. Selfridge & Co. in 1904. That firm occupied the structure for only a matter of weeks before it sold the building to Otto Young, who then leased it to Carson Pirie Scott for $7,000 per month. Subsequent additions were completed by Daniel Burnham in 1906 and Holabird & Root in 1961. The building has been used for retail purposes ...more
    • City/Town: Chicago, Illinois, USA
    • Opened: Jan 01 1899
    • Architect: Louis Sullivan, Daniel Burnham
    • Created By: Louis Sullivan, Daniel Burnham
    • Style: Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements