Some people claim that men and women can't be friends, but as these movies about male-female friendships show, that assumption to be very wrong. The top male-female friendship movies feature close-knit relationships between members of the opposite sex - though romance crops up on occasion as well. This is a list of the greatest man-woman friends movies including everything from My Best Friend's Wedding to Reality Bites to Just Friends.
What films will you find on this list of the best movies about girl-boy friendships? Scarlett Johansson and Bill Murray star in Lost in Translation, directed by Sofia Coppola. The movie follows a pair of unlikely friends who bond over their shared sense of isolation while staying in Japan. The friendship between Harry and Hermione in the Harry Potter franchise is a great example of a platonic boy-girl friendship. Joe Swanberg's Drinking Buddies is another great film that examines a male-female friendship. Other good movies featured on this list include Pretty in Pink, Once, and Zach and Miri Make a Porno.
Which friendship film is your favorite? Give the best movies a vote up and you might also like this list of Disney movies about friendship.
- The life of Jesse (Josh Hutcherson), an adolescent, changes when he befriends Leslie (AnnaSophia Robb), the class outsider. The children create an imaginary world called Terabithia, which is ...more
- Rosie and Alex are best friends until Alex's family moves to America. They gamble everything to keep their love and friendship alive over the years and miles.
- Tomboy Vada Sultenfuss (Anna Chlumsky) has good reason to be morbid: her mother died giving birth to her, and her father (Dan Aykroyd) operates a funeral service out of their home. The other kids ...more
- Adaptation of the first of J.K. Rowling's popular children's novels about Harry Potter, a boy who learns on his eleventh birthday that he is the orphaned son of two powerful wizards and possesses ...more
- Andie (Molly Ringwald) is an outcast at her Chicago high school, hanging out either with her older boss (Annie Potts), who owns the record store where she works, or her quirky classmate Duckie (Jon ...more
- Longtime sweethearts Celeste (Rashida Jones) and Jesse (Andy Samberg) married young, but are now drifting apart. Celeste is an ambitious business owner, while Jesse has a more laid-back attitude ...more
- Martial-arts master Shang-Chi confronts the past he thought he left behind when he's drawn into the web of the mysterious Ten Rings organization.
- Yesterday is a 2019 British musical comedy film directed by Danny Boyle. A struggling musician, Jack Malik (Himesh Patel), discovers that the whole world has forgotten who the Beatles are and seizes ...more
- Spurred on by a promise he made to his daughters, Walt Disney (Tom Hanks) embarks on what would become a 20-year quest to obtain the movie rights to "Mary Poppins." The author, P.L. Travers (Emma ...more
- In 1977, college graduates Harry Burns (Billy Crystal) and Sally Albright (Meg Ryan) share a contentious car ride from Chicago to New York, during which they argue about whether men and women can ...more
- Who's afraid of the big bad Wolf? Not Jason Shepherd (Frankie Muniz), who has to prove that sleazy Hollywood producer Marty Wolf (Paul Giamatti) stole his class paper and turned it into a blockbuster ...more
- Jamie (Mila Kunis) is a New York-based executive recruiter who entices Dylan (Justin Timberlake), an art director from Los Angeles, to take a job at the New York office of GQ magazine. Finding that ...more
- Daisy Werthan (Jessica Tandy), an elderly Jewish widow living in Atlanta, is determined to maintain her independence. However, when she crashes her car, her son, Boolie (Dan Aykroyd), arranges for ...more
- Baltimore-based friends and lovers, all in their 20s and 30s, try to navigate their way through the complexities of modern relationships. Beth (Jennifer Aniston) wants commitment from Neil (Ben ...more
- As America's stock of athletic young men is depleted during World War II, a professional all-female baseball league springs up in the Midwest, funded by publicity-hungry candy maker Walter Harvey ...more
- In this animated feature by noted Japanese director Hayao Miyazaki, 10-year-old Chihiro (Rumi Hiiragi) and her parents (Takashi Naitô, Yasuko Sawaguchi) stumble upon a seemingly abandoned amusement ...more
- Childhood friends Julianne Potter (Julia Roberts) and Michael O'Neal (Dermot Mulroney) had a deal to marry each other if they were still single by age 28. Now, four days before her 28th birthday, ...more
- Pete (Topher Grace), the quirky, self-deprecating manager of a grocery store, is madly in love with his best friend, Rosalee (Kate Bosworth). Unfortunately, she has absolutely no idea. When Rosalee ...more
- In this adaptation of Jane Austen's classic novel, pretty socialite Emma Woodhouse (Gwyneth Paltrow) entertains herself by playing matchmaker for those around her. Her latest "project" is Harriet ...more
- A high school student finds herself face-to-face with her long-term crush when she signs up to run a kissing booth at the spring carnival.
- Cory Lambert is a wildlife officer who finds the body of an 18-year-old woman on an American Indian reservation in snowy Wyoming. When the autopsy reveals that she was raped, FBI agent Jane Banner ...more
- High school student Chris Brander (Ryan Reynolds) loves his best friend, Jamie Palamino (Amy Smart). He finally confesses his feelings, but she tells him that she just wants to be friends, and he ...more
- Struggling boutique bookseller Kathleen Kelly (Meg Ryan) hates Joe Fox (Tom Hanks), the owner of a corporate Foxbooks chain store that just moved in across the street. When they meet online, however, ...more
- Keith Nelson (Eric Stoltz), an artsy high school outcast, tries to land a date with popular girl Amanda Jones (Lea Thompson) with some help from his tomboy best friend, Watts (Mary Stuart Masterson). ...more
- Always Be My Maybe is a 2019 American comedy film directed by Nahnatchka Khan. Childhood friends Sasha (Ali Wong) and Marcus (Randall Park) find themselves in vastly different socioeconomic ...more